Wednesday, January 15, 2014

It's an Adventure!

Today - was the day - the day that I went to the American Cancer Society and tried on wigs. I had one my best friends go with me - she is such an encourager. God blessed me when he brought her into my life.
 
When she picked me up - she had on a cute - Rainbow striped wig on over her hair! We both got a good laugh out of that. I ended up trying on about 5-6 wigs and I am hoping that I picked out the best one. I am going to share one of the wigs that I did not choose. I love the photo! The wig was great while it sat there on the white Styrofoam head- but once it was on me - I figure out right quick this was not the wig for me. Too much width across for me. The back was cute, and if they had have made the sides calmer - I would have thought it was adorable. Anyway I ended up going with a longer wig. It has highlights - which is new to me. I have never had my hair colored or had highlights or anything kind of coloring. But it seemed like it was the most flattering wig that I tried on. There is a chance that I will need to take the wig to the lady that cutes my hair and have her trim the bangs on it - but I don't want to do anything until I lose my hair and can try it on like that. I would hate to get it cut and it end up being cut too short. So I will wait. It will take some to get used to the wig, but I am praying that God will help me with that as well.

Not only did I get a free wig - but I also got a free hat- that I got to pick out. If you, or anyone you know has cancer- be sure and tell them to call the American Cancer Society and see what they offer. It is such a great thing for those of us going through this. There is enough expense with all the other stuff - so it is nice to be able to get a few things for this journey - free.
 
There is also a make up class that they provide. There is a chance that the chemo changes your skin and what you can handle -so even though you have been wearing the same make up for years, chemo can cause you to become sensitive to it. So they offer this class and also give you make up. So this is also something I will be signing up for.
 
This whole journey has stretched me outside of my comfort zone- but I have learned so much and I have grown as a person. And I continue along this journey and wonder what adventure is next for me.
The word Adventure - is an interesting one to put along with a diagnosis of cancer- but today - my friend said something about this adventure of mine - and it just struck me. At the beginning of the year when everyone is talking about a fresh new start and all their goals and aspirations for the year. I had felt kind of bad- kind of sorry for myself to be truthful, I mean I don't have a fresh new start or anything to look forward to - I have chemo and radiation to look forward to and those along with all the side affects are no fun, but just maybe if I keep an open mind - there will be adventure along the way. Fun activities, fun times, new things to learn, new people to meet, and new opportunities to share the love of Jesus with those that are hurting. And that is adventure. So I will continue to walk along this journey that is before me and I will look for the adventure along the way.

7 comments:

  1. I understand what you were saying about the 'width' but you still look cute in it (although I suspect you'd be cute in anything). I love your outlook...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Ruth - The outlook - is only through God's strength and my good friend's words. And it helped inspire me to look at it more like that. :O)

      Delete
  2. Cute! I thank God for you and continue to keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, an adventure! I love that word, and I'm looking forward to everything God will do to train your eyes and your heart to see it day by day. Thank you for sharing these moments of your journey, and allowing them to encourage all of us!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories