Friday, January 24, 2014

Chemo Today

Ok - So today is a Chemo day. We have to be at the Oncology place by 8:30am. We check in and then I wait to have my blood work done. Then I wait to see the Dr. Once the Dr has my blood results back - and my numbers are alright and I am cleared to have chemo - then I am sent back across the hallway to wait to be called back to the infusion room.

That's when I get hooked up to the IV's - so thankful for the port each time. It is still a little sore- but so much better than them having to dig to find a vein each and every time.

First I get the concoction of several things to keep me from being nauseous, keep me from an allergic reaction, and a steroid to give me some energy - since the chemo kind of knocks a lot of energy out.

Once this is all done- it is time to begin the first chemo drug - which takes about 3 hours or so. Once that one is done it is time for chemo drug number 2. This one only takes about 45 minutes to an hour.

Then it is time to flush the port and unhook me. And then it is time to go home. Last time all this took us till 5pm because they were so busy. I am sure hoping that today goes a lot smoother and that we can get out of there at a decent time and hopefully by pass rush hour traffic.

It is a little discouraging sometimes to be sitting there through all this and have others come and go. Their treatments being just one short one. But I will get through all of this. God is going to give me the strength needed. Just like it says in Deut. 33:25b

"As your days, so shall your strength be."
 
He has proved faithful so far and I will continue to trust Him!
 
Please keep me in prayer-
I probably mentioned this before but last time there was a lady that was having her 2nd treatment and she had an allergic reaction. So I am a little concerned about that. I know that God is in control- but I am still a little concerned.
 
I have my list of questions for the Dr. I usually have at least 5 questions each time. What better time to get those questions answered.
 
I hope you all have a great day and stay warm. :O)    

10 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I sure hope your day goes well. And no allergic reactions either! What a process... But it's all to get you better and conquer that nasty disease.
    You are in my prayers, and I will remember you especially at church this weekend. Hang in there my friend. You are doing all the right things. God is with you, holding your hand all through it.
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Ceil! I really am so thankful for each and every one of them!
      Lisa :O)

      Delete
  2. My son did not have any allergic reactions...until his last blood transfusion. PTL he has not had to have any more transfusions...but if he ever needs one it is a concern.
    I understand your feelings of sitting all afternoon while you watch others go in and out so quickly, but keep in mind you are all getting a different cocktail. There were times we sat in the office for 4+ hours too. Time to meditate on things from above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marci- I am happy to hear that he did not have any bad reactions to the chemo- and just the tranfusions- hopefully he does not have to do that again. Praying for you guys! Lisa :O)

      Delete
  3. I hope everything is going well. You've been on my mind today. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just said another prayer for you right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chemo for us today too. They are long days to be sure, we have become very good at waiting. Keeping you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann- Thanks for the prayers. I continue to pray for you guys as well. Don't ya'll have to drive to Dallas for your son's Chemo? I bet that does make for a long day. Our drive is only about 45 minutes depending on traffic. God bless ~ Lisa :O)

      Delete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking