Saturday, May 8, 2010

First Harvest of the Year!!!

Today has been a really nice day here in Texas. Last night we got into the 50's and today I think the high has only been about 76- 78 degrees. The house is still open and I am enjoying this weather as long as God see fit to provide it for us!

I am also so happy to report that we have gotten our very first things out of our garden for the year! Today when I went to gather eggs, I noticed that my chickens needed water so I got them fresh water. Then I went and watered my garden and low and behold - I found a cucumber and some strawberries!! I was so excited cause I had no idea that we had a cucumber this big. I had only seen a few that were about 1 - 1 1/2 inches long. And then to get this one- it was exciting!!

It sure makes all the time that you invest in a garden worth it when you harvest some of your own food out of it. And it is so nice to have the privilege of having a garden and getting some fresh produce from it. Such a blessing that I am so very thankful for.

I have a hen that is sitting. She has been in one box and then moved over to a different box but she has stayed there for several days straight now. We could have baby chicks running around here in just a couple of weeks. That is so exciting and scary in a way. I always worry about those babies. The Mom's usually do such a great job of taking care of them. But - yep there is a but - one time we had a momma chicken hatch out 3 baby chicks and one of those babies was acting like it was not doing well. So I was trying to do what I could for it - I am like that. Then all of a sudden that Momma hen got mad and went after the baby. I just had to leave cause there was nothing I could do for it. I have been told that there had to have been something really wrong with the baby chick and that it would not have made it but it still breaks my heart. Anyway I am praying if we do get baby chicks that they will be safe and that we don't get very many rooster- and if we do - only the nice ones Thank you very much.

After sharing about my A-HA book - I remembered that I had started a journal about memorizing Bible verses. And it was so cool because one of the blogs that I follow had a really good post on it this morning. If you are interested in reading it - look to the right through the blogs I follow and find the one that says Scripture Memorization - I think is what it says. Anyway it really inspired me to start working on memorizing God's word. I have a hard time with memorizing things, but I believe that it is part of God's plan for us to hide His word in our hearts so I have full trust in Him blessing me if I try. What was so neat about what she said was that not only does she memorize a scripture but she studies it and then applies it to her life. That is truly how we are to use the Bible. Anyone can read the Bible but actually doing what it says and applying it to our lives - now that is what our goal should be and what great blessing we will receive when we do this. I think it even says that several times in the Bible.

"Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near." Revelations 1:3

And this is just one example of verses that tell us of the blessing we will get when we do what the Bible says. There are so many treasures in the Bible just waiting for us to find them. May we all search for these treasures and hide them in our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking