Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Workin' on the Garden

It is a little after 9pm and it is like 90 degrees out there, but it has cooled down some since we first went out there to work. I have explained earlier about the Earth Boxes not doing well with out plants. So we had pulled up the zucchini plants, yellow squash and cucumber plants. I had been blessed with at least 6+ cucumbers before the plant died. Well my husband decided to make us 2 raised garden boxes. I think they are like 2 ft. X 6 ft. Well we got them built tonight and filled them up with lots of good dirt and we planted cantaloupe in one box and yellow squash in the other box. My husband really wanted some cantaloupes so we are hoping to have some luck. We have never really planted them - and if we did we did not have any luck. I am hoping that with changing things around and all that we can get some produce out of them. And the good thing is that we will have these boxes ready for the next planting season.
I borrowed a photo from Earth Box site so you would know what I was talking about. I also decided to dump the dirt out of the Earthboxes (by the way I linked it up so that you can go check out what I have been talking about.) And take out the rack that holds the dirt up about 3 inches. You put water in through a tube that sticks up on one corner of it and so the bottom section is suppose to be full of water. Anyway, we decided that we are going to drill a few holes into the bottom of the containers and then just fill them up with good dirt and I will be planting my herbs in there for now.

Speaking of Herbs: Today when we were at Home Depot picking up supplies - I found a sweet basil plant, sage plant, and rosemary plant. Oh the leaves of these plants smell so fragrant.

We got the boxes built and filled with dirt and we got all of our plants transferred into the planters. And I got everything watered. My son had mowed the front yard this evening so I went and raked up a lot of grass and I used it for mulch around my strawberry plants that are in the washing tubs. And I also placed the cut grass around the 8 newly planted plants. I also took some of the grass clippings and put them around my tomato plants and also around my rose bushes in the front yard. Boy we got a lot of stuff done this afternoon.

Tomorrow will be busy for me as well - I will have to take all the dirt that is in the Earth Boxes and mix it with some good stuff that we bought and then fill the boxes ALL the way with dirt. Then I will plant each of my herbs into a box just for them. I am excited to have the herbs, as I have wanted to grow herbs and start cooking with fresh herbs from my own herb garden. Yay!

Well as you can probably guess with everything we did this evening alone - I am hot and sweaty and in need of a good shower. I hope you all had a good day! See ya tomorrow! :O)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I am so looking forward to planting my garden. I bought some lettuce seeds last night for the fall.
    Enjoy,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories