Wednesday, June 16, 2010

May He Find me Faithful

Today during my devotions, I learned something new that was such a blessing to me and I wanted to share with you.
I was reading through all the things that Paul had went through(at least the list that the Bible shares with us)

"24 Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. 25 Thrice was I beaten with rods , once was I stoned , thrice I suffered shipwreck , a night and a day I have been in the deep; 26 In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; 27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness. 28 Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily , the care of all the churches." 2 Corinthians 11:24-28

As I read - I just could not imagine going through so much. Well a little later in my reading - this verse popped out at me:

"28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Did you realize that Paul, the very same one who had endured this list above, wrote this verse as well? Well for me it had never clicked before that it was the same person. After I realized this - it really put Romans 8:28 into perspective for me.

The last couple of years have been very rough on me. Somethings I have shared here and some things I have chosen not to share. When a lot of bad things happen , especially in a short time period, it is easy to start feeling sorry for yourself. Don't get me wrong - I totally believe that when you go through tough times you need to allow yourself to feel the feelings that you have, grieve if you need to, just don't continue to dwell on the negative side of things.

It was such a blessing for me to realize that the person that had written Romans 8:28 really did understand and know about hard times. And yet he stayed faithful to God. And he realized why God has allowed these things to happen to him. When he was in prison and expecting to be executed he wrote:

"7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing." 2 Timothy 4:7-8

Isn't that awesome! God is so good! There are so many treasures and gems in the Bible just waiting to be found!

2 comments:

  1. Lisa thank you for this is a perfect example of tending hearts us who are so blessed to do so. ALL THINGS TO HIS GLORY
    sometime I forget that.
    I really needed that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful thoughts. Thank you for the remnder--it is a good thing to start my day thinking about!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity