Thursday, June 24, 2010

Something to Think About

And why do you look at the splinter that is in your brother's eye, but do not see the beam that is in your own eye?
Luke 6:41

As I was reading Luke 6 this morning, I stopped and began to think about what this verse mean. I thought about how I understand that we need to take care of our own defects. And that it is easier to see someone else's character defects than it is to see our own. And I am sure that Satan gets a lot of pleasure out of this. You see when we are so focused on what other people are doing wrong - we are so distracted that we totally miss what is wrong with us. I know I have found my self doing this. It is really easy to do. And I think that Satan really does his best to keep us focused on what is wrong with everyone else because then we will not address our own problems. And let me tell you - I have enough problems and character defects to keep me busy for quite some time.
We also find the same basic message spoken of in Matthew 7. Actually I think it is the first 5 verses that are really good in speaking about judging others.

And why do you look on the splinter that is in your brother's eye, but do not consider the beam that is in your own eye?
Or how will you say to your brother, Let me pull the splinter out of your eye; and, behold, a beam is in your own eye?
Matthew 7:3-4
Well I don't know about you but the next time that Satan tries to distract me from dealing with my own faults, by tempting me to focus on what is wrong with me, I will be asking God to help me keep focused on me.
Oh one more thing that just came to mind. I have heard it said many times - when something really bothers you about someone else - more than likely you have the same defects of character. At first when I heard that - I though no, I don't think so but as I have paid attention since then I have found it surprising that there are many times that this is very true. Something to think about.

2 comments:

  1. This is so true! The Bible says it better than anywhere else, but there is also an old saying, "Don't throw rocks at someone else's house if yours is made of glass".

    Good Post.

    Debbie J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder, and oh how I need to be reminded!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision