Sunday, August 15, 2010

My Grandparent's House

This week-end my husband and I went to Oklahoma City for my Uncle's Memorial Service. We had a very nice drive there and back. I will share another post about more of the trip.

One of the main things that I wanted to do while we were in Oklahoma City was to go by my Grandma and Grandpa's house. It is no longer in the family. I was under that impression that the house was empty and had been damaged.

Anyway I had really looked forward to going by the house- pulling into the drive-way - getting out of the car and taking photos of it and looking around. Spending some time in my mind thinking of years past, holidays when all of my family would get together, of the times that my family and I went there after my Grandpa died, and then 10 years ago when my Grandma passed away.

As we drove up the street - I saw a lady in a pink top walking to the mail box. It hit me - someone else lived there. I was not prepared for that. It was so sad to think that not only were my grandparents gone but other people - that were not family were living in the home that was built by my Grandpa.

As I fought the tears, my husband turned the car around and got his phone ready to take a quick photo as we drove by. I, then shared with my husband my feelings of not liking other people living in this house. How in years past - people were born and died in the same house and once they died other family members would move into the house. Maybe this is just more of a fantasy but a nice one, I think.

If I had have had time and ability - I would have stopped and taken a photo of the concrete steps going up to the front porch. On the porch was always seating, where my grandparents spend lots of time enjoying fresh air. I would have taken a photo of the concrete wall that separated their yard from their neighbors and that us kids used to love to climb on. And the flower bed along it that my grandma would plant flowers in.

I was thankful to have the chance to go by the house and to see that it was in pretty good shape and now I am getting used to the idea of another family living there and making their own memories. I have my memories that no one can take away. :O)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Good to see you back. Have a wonderful week.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories...so glad we were created to have them! That is one way we learn and grow...from our memories!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories