Thursday, August 26, 2010

Basic Tools Needed

For Quilting that is!
Have you ever thought that you would want to learn how to quilt? Well today is your lucky day. I am going to talk about basic things needed to start quilting. Some of these things are not things that you would have to have in order to start quilting but they sure make it easier.
First, you will want an iron. It does not have to be a high dollar iron but you will want one that does not leak water out of it. It is best to get into the habit of ironing your fabric before you do any cutting. That way it is nice and flat.
You will also want a cutting board. This is the size that I use the most often. I do have a smaller one and a larger one.

You will want a good rotary cutter. And you can buy replacement blade for it. A really good safety tip - is ALWAYS close the blade when you are not using it. EVERY single time that you set it down - close it. It is dangerous to keep it open. It is a little inconvenience that will keep you safer.

There are several kinds of rulers that will be very useful to have. This is one that I use quite a bit. It is 6X24.
It is very helpful to have these square rulers as well. But you don't have to have all of these to start off. I have a 6 1/2, 9 1/2, and a 12 1/2 inch square ruler.

To me- one of the most important things to have is a quarter foot for your sewing machine. It had a piece of metal that goes down on the right side of the needle that measures the 1/4 inch seam allowance that is used usually all the time in quilting. You can mark your sewing machine but this just makes it so much easier and more accurate as well.

Ok - something that is also important is what I call Sandpaper Dots. They are little stickers that have the sticky on one side and sand paper on the other side. I put these on all of my rulers. It helps them not slide. I still hold the ruler or square down firmly so that they do not slide while I cut. But these dots really help hold it still.

Last and certainly not least - a seam ripper. As with any sewing - there will be times when you will have to "unsew."
Here is a book that I have found quite helpful.

I hope that this has been helpful. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer if I could. Quilting is one of those things that you are always learning something new. It is a very fun hobby and I really enjoy it. :O)

2 comments:

  1. I love your seam ripper--it has a great handle on it! Once I was teaching my sister how to sew, and she did something wrong so I told her she would have to take the seam ripper and take out that seam. She looks at me and says "Seam ripper. That's such a violent word. Can't it be called something like 'Seam Repairer?'" I thought that was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, we just got back from vacation.whew!A mixture of blessing and trials and alittle craziness on the train..I do an "itch" to make something..I will look at this more throughly as I settle into being back online..thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)