Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Life and Antiques

Today I had a list of things to do at a nearby town, tomorrow I have a list at a different town. I was going to try to do them all today but just got too tired. I think it is this heat. I am SO ready for summer to be over with. I do have to say I am so thankful that we had that day or so of much cooler weather. And I am SO thankful that I changed some of my plans that I had for that day and got our yard mowed and a lot of it weed-eated. It has basically been hot ever since and so I am hoping that if our yard needs mowed again - that we will have another "cold' front come through. A lot of people believe that Labor Day week end is the end of summer - well I sure hope so. We will see...

Anyway today while I was taking care of errands, I went by a really cool car wash and had my car washed and then if you pay for the automatic car wash then you can use the vacuums for free. Well my car needed to be vacuumed out. So I got all of that done. Then after I had all of my errands taken care of I went by one of my favorite Goodwill stores. I found 2 tops that I really like, a book that I think will be helpful to me, and this cool mouse pad:

I thought for a dollar it was well worth it to have a pretty mouse pad instead of the thin, plain Dell one that I was using. It is really relaxing to look at it.

***********

So I told you all about our trip to Granbury. Well on Friday my husband and I walked around the town square and went through a lot of the little shops they have there. They have 2 awesome antique shops. Well my husband found this treasure: It is sitting on our coffee table in our living room. Our living room is decorated in lighthouses and such. And this fit in perfectly. It is awesome! It is a Brass Binnacle Ship Compass. It has a little kerosene side lamp in the little box to the right. And the light - will light up the compass so it could be seen at night. The compass thing does lay flat but it also moves around different ways - as you can tell in the photo. So as the ship moved - the compass could still be read. We need to get some brass cleaner and clean it up. We love finding treasures like this!

I found these pretty doilies! I probably spent too much money on them but they were so pretty that I could not pass them up. Not sure where I will put them yet - I am thinking my Parlor. Yep - I am talking about my sun room. I am thinking I will be calling it my Parlor. I love the word!
On our way home from Granbury, We stopped at our local Antique Mall. I found a beautiful end table for our Parlor :O). I love the detail of the carved flowers, the shape of the legs of the table, and the marble top. If any of you know anything about this table or any of the things that we got - I would love to hear more information. We are very new to antiques and we don't know a lot about the stuff. I just pick out things that I REALLY like. You know when you see something and it takes your breath away - those are the things I really like to get. But unfortunately a lot of those things are TOO expensive and I just have to take a photo and enjoy them from afar.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    How pretty. Sounds like you had a great day.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun times for you..Lisa, along with a few treasures..

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking