Thursday, August 12, 2010

In my sewing room-Civil War BOM

Several years ago, my husband schedule worked out that he could go to Block of the Month. Well he made his blocks for the whole year and put his quilt together. Actually he finished his first BOM quilt before I did. It is so much easier for him to pick out fabric, than it is for me.

I think I may have already shared a photo of the quilt he made, but just in case I did not here it is:
So the next year he started out doing a set of blocks. So he made the first 2 maybe 3. Then his schedule got changed and he was not able to go to BOM with me. His packets started piling up. So one time when we went camping - I took my cutting board and rotary cutter and I cut out the pieces for him. A year went by and I had ran out of projects to do so guess what I did?
I started making his blocks. Anyway all those blocks are done and I have ironed them up. I have the fabric that I am going to put it together with out and working on it. I have alot of it already cut into the pieces that I am going to need. And I am hoping to start sewing some of the sashings onto the blocks today. Slowly but sure I am hoping to get this quilt put together.

Picking out the fabric to go with these colors were so hard for me. I like civil war fabrics but it is really hard to get several fabrics together that I liked and also went together.


When I pick out my fabrics - I really like to actually like the fabrics that I am using. I loved the background fabric used for this block - with the little birds that are pink and blue. But by the time I started buying fabrics to put my blocks together - this fabric was gone. Apparently lots of other people liked it as well.



















If you were counting, you would have noticed that there are only 11 blocks here. Well some how one of the blocks got lost. I have NO idea where it is. But it is frustrating because I really can not start working on this quilt before I find that block. Just my personality - I need to lay the blocks out and see how I would like it best. How the blocks would be most balanced. Anyway so this project will be on hold for a bit till I find that block - when I do - I will post it -might just run this post again with the missing block.
Good news is that there were some directions for a project that I had lost when we set up my sewing room. So I have looked off and on for these directions. Well today - I was looking for these directions and for the missing block. And lo and behold, I find the directions in the front of my top drawer of the desk that my sewing machine is on. They have been there the whole time and some how I overlooked it ALL that time. I am thankful that I found these directions.
I will probably sew the binding on my Sailboat wall hanging the next time I get some time in the sewing room - I think it will be at least Sunday - Monday before I get to spend any time in there. It will be pretty busy the next couple of day. :o)

1 comment:

  1. Hi lisa,
    looks like you have been one busy lady. I have been sewing too. It is so relaxing to sew.
    Enjoy,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories