Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Lord is my Strength...

My husband and I made it to the Symposium. UT Southwestern Medical Center is a very nice place. Of course it is huge and we went to the wrong place first but we finally made it. Everyone was very helpful and they served a nice spread of breakfast foods for us before the Symposium started. The Drs were all very nice and tried to make things easy to understand. There was one part of it that was pretty difficult for me to handle. Halfway through, we had a short break where they had bottled drinks and granola bars for us. They also had a few table set up with some free goodies and information. A couple of free books to help with the journey with Parkinson's. And of course, I have to mention - my husband and I were the youngest ones there. It was a good thing that he warned me just before we got out of the car. In a way that was one of the things that made me upset. You know with his Granny and Step-dad - they both had late onset Parkinson's. So it did not have a lot of time to do a lot of damage.

Anyway I just want to thank everyone for their prayers and also for letting me know I am not alone. A long time ago (like when I was about 11 years old) I learned I had to be self reliant. And self reliance can be a good thing to a point, but you can also go to far and get to the unhealthy side. I think there are a lot of down falls to this kind of unhealthy thinking. I know for me I stopped asking other people for help when I needed it and did not think I could depend on other people. But I think the worst downfall with having total self reliance attitude is that you no longer look to God for your strength. And that is not a good place to be. So I am choosing today to hold onto this promise ~ The Lord is my strength! I am so thankful that I have Him to trust in and I am so thankful that he has sent me some wonderful people to hold me up when I can't. It is like the song "Faith of a Few Close Friends"(great song by Steve and Annie Chapman) Praise the Lord for the strength He gives and for the Faith of my friends that encourage me when I am down.
"The Lord is my strength and my shield; My heart trusted in Him, and I am helped; Therefore my heart greatly rejoices, And with my song I will praise Him." Psalms 28:7


"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalms 18:2

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    I know how you feel. Sometimes I feel it is Dave and I against the world. We have walked the road you and your dh are going down. I am here if you need a friend. I love the title of your blog. I too am finding the real me. I don't care about what they say is correct.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision