Friday, April 9, 2010

Keep these Meal-Planning Tips in Mind

1. Remember the daily need for green and yellow vegetables and the importance of contrast in flavor, color and texture.

2. If the main course is light, such as salad or soup, choose a heavier dessert.

3. If you are having a hearty main course, serve a light dessert.

4. When planning and entire day's menu, keep all meals in mind for total balance.

5. Consider your food dollar:
Plan meals before you get to the supermarket. Read the food ads thoroughly.
Buy family treats like sirloin steaks when they are on specials.
Go all out on a special meal and cut down on the next.
Keep leftovers in mind (look in the refrigerator when planning meals).

*Taken from "American Home All-Purpose Cookbook" page 24


I love all this cool information. In fact, I wish that I had have had a cookbook like this when I first got married. I have learned a lot from trial and error, from watching my MIL cook and from other people. And as I look at this cookbook I am actually learning some very cool and important information.

I love the idea of keeping leftovers in mind. In just the last year or two I have finally figured out if I make a roast one day then what ever left over meat I have - I will make beef tips over rice or beef stroganoff. When I get 2 meals out of a roast -it makes the money that was paid for the roast go a lot further. I also do not buy roast unless it is on sale. So that too is great advice. If you cook a whole chicken - then the next day I can use what ever is left over and make chicken pot pie. I am still learning possibilities of how I can use leftovers to save money.


I have a lot of ideas of things that I want to write about but just don't have the time today to get all my thoughts together to write a post. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)