Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Serenity Prayer and what it does for me

This morning, I have been thinking of a very useful tool for the journey down the roads of life. Sometimes we spend so much time and effort worrying about things that we are not meant to worry about and trying to change things that we just can not change.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.


The first part of the Serenity Prayer helps me to decide if my worries are things that I need to be concerned about or if they are worries and concerns that I need to Let Go and Let God have them.

I think in life we get confused in thinking we can control everything around us. And that is just not true, nor is it healthy. We can not control what other people do or their feelings. We cannot control the weather or the traffic and so many other things in life. But there are some things we can control - like ourselves(sometimes only with the help of God though.) And what is so cool about this first section of the prayer is that it helps put it all into perspective. We are able to ask ourselves- can I change this and if the answer is yes, then we ask God to give us the courage to do so. And the very best thing that we can do for ourselves is to turn our life and our wills over to God. And by saying this prayer and asking God for His leading we are best able to allow Him to lead us.

And if we say this prayer and we realize that we find ourselves dealing with a situation that we cannot change then we can more easily turn it over to God.

I am So thankful to have tools like this one in my life that helps me to have more healthy thinking. Oh, I still find myself worrying about things that I can not change, but at least now I have a tool that if I choose to use - I can get back to a better state of mind.

May I continue to depend on God to help me through this journey we call life.


The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr
I have a very busy day today, so I better get moving on my day. I hope you all have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Love this prayer. A great reminder for me...there is sooo much in my life I have no control over.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories