Thursday, April 8, 2010

What Technology has done for me

You know I have heard quite a bit of talk about how all this new technology has caused people to become more isolated and has caused problems with interpersonal relationships. Well I guess in some ways that could be true but with me, it has really helped me get to know who I was and meet more people. I think it was about 2006 that I discovered Blogs. I found a few that I really liked and followed them. I thought that there was no way that I would start a blog - I would not have anything to offer. Well in the last 4 years a lot has happened. Since then I started on Facebook. There again - I was very hesitant. I slowly began to write small status updates. And enjoyed reading others. And I found that it gave me the ability to connect to people that in my day to day life I did not have the opportunity to talk to and get to know. Everyone is busy and unless there is something that you have to do together - like kids sports or the like - you just don't have the opportunity to get to know people. Facebook has helped me get to know people I would not otherwise have the chance to get to know. And as I have visited a few blogs, I have really gotten to know the ladies writing the blogs and we have become friends. These are people that I would not have had the chance to get to know. Our paths would not have crossed.

Another really cool thing about blogs and Facebook, I guess. Is that you really get to know a person by reading their blog. I am sure people don't share everything but they share enough of who they are for you to get to know who they really are. And I really appreciate that. I am drawn to authentic people. I think we live in a day and age where people try to be something that they are not and it is hard to get to know those people.

So this technological age we live in has actually helped me in many ways. It has helped me not to be so isolated. It has helped me to slowly learn who I am and build the confidence to share myself with other people. And that is a big stretch from who I was just several years ago. So I, for one, am thankful for the opportunity to share who I am on Facebook and here on my blog. It is awesome that God uses so many different avenues in order to take us along our journey.

2 comments:

  1. I too have felt isolated, and enjoyed others blogs. I still don't have time like I want to read and post, but it has helped me connect with people...and I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think blogs, facebook, and e-mail are especially good for stay-at-home moms. Though busy as we are, I find blogs and facebook easier, because you don't have to feel like you are writing a person a whole, proper letter.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking