Monday, October 22, 2018

Ways to Save...series.. This instead of that

Today's "Ways to Save" is going to be using the this instead of that mentality. I used to be a heavy soda drinker. I loved my diet coke till I gave up diet drinks because aspartame is not good for you. So I switched to coke. I loved my coke. Until I realized I had to give up caffeine - it is not good for us either plus if I did not have a coke I would get a bad head ache, a head ache that wouldn't go away. I knew then that I had to give it up. And thankfully I did because I found out later that caffeine makes hot flashes worse - I don't need that!

So now when I am going to have a soda I usually I drink rootbeer, sprite, or Canada Dry Ginger Ale(my favorite). If I open a 12 ounce can - I am tempted to drink more of it than I would like - so I have been getting Walmart brand little 8 ounce cans of rootbeer or cream soda. I don't do this all the time but ever so often for a treat. They used to price the six pack at $1.50. The last time I went - the price had gone up to $1.62. I thought that was too much so I passed. When I got to the produce department I picked up a bag of key limes because our granddaughter was coming that week end and she loves Key Limeade - I do too! That is when I got the thought. I like her to drink the limeade instead of soda's because of her getting the vit. c and white sugar is probably better for her than corn syrup. So when she comes to visit I do my best to have it here. I buy a bag or Key Limes and then I process them- I usually use 7-8 per 2 qt. pitcher. So I wash the limes, cut them in half and I squeeze them into my glass measuring cup. Then I pour it into my pitcher and I add about 1 cup of sugar and fill it up with water. I mix it up really good. Then I do the same process with the rest of the sets of 7-8 but instead up pouring the juice into the pitcher - I pour the juice into a small Tupperware container that has a lid. I put these in the freezer till I am ready to use them. This time my bag of key limes made up 4 batches. I paid $2.48 for the key limes. When I figured up per 8 ounce servings of each here is what I found :

Great Value soda -8 ounces - 27 cents a serving
Key Limeade - 8 ounces - almost 18 cents a serving. That is including the sugar added.

That is almost 10 cents cheaper per serving - plus healthier for us and has vit. c! I think it is a win for the Key Limeade!! :O) I will make sure I have stuff to make key limeade here so when I get a hankering for something sweet to drink - I will make up some key limeade! :O)

Sometimes I get an even better deal on the key limes - which makes each serving even cheaper!
This is a treat - not something I usually drink. I am trying to be healthier which means water is my usual drink of choice.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent substitute for soda! And I agree with you 100%, that the plain sugar is far better for both your granddaughter and for you, than the corn syrup! Alison even breaks out in a rash from corn syrup! So I would always rather she just have a treat that is made of sugar!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)