Monday, October 29, 2018

Ways to Save .....Make it yourself: French Bread, Hamburger Buns, and Bread

On a Friday afternoon - after I had bought groceries for the week - I remembered that we were having spaghetti for our Sabbath Dinner. We enjoy having garlic bread with our Spaghetti. Well usually I buy a loaf of French bread that is already sliced from Walmart for $1.00. That is a good deal especially since we usually only use about 1/2 of a loaf per meal. I remembered that my step-mom had given me her special recipe for French bread years before and I thought - I have time I can make up my own.

So with just a little bit of shortening, a bit of salt, a bit of sugar, a bit of yeast, water and flour and a couple hours of time - I made up not one, not two, but three loafs of French bread!! Come to find out my family likes my French bread more than store bought!! So for these little bit of ingredients -I will have bread for our meal plus at least 2 loafs to put in the freezer for another time! I think that is a great way to not only save but to be prepared for the future as well.

Next time I make these I will be putting just two on a cookies sheet so I can let them rise a bit more. 


The next day my husband decided that he wanted to have bbq chicken sandwiches and so I made buns for our meal. 


And as you know I make my own bread. My husband does not like home made bread - he was raised on white bread so it is an accomplishment that I have him eating store bought wheat bread. 
One way I have found to save money - is that I cut of several pieces of bread and I put them in a bag in the fridge and then I put the rest in the freezer. I had been keeping out a whole loaf at a time but I am not eating through my bread that fast now so several pieces at a time works much better. 

If you are able make sure you have the basic ingredient on had all the time so you will be able to avoid an extra trip to the store and save money while you are at it! :O) 

** By the time this post is being posted - I will be on my way to the courthouse for jury duty. Please pray that my day goes smoothly. I really appreciate it :O)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)