Friday, October 19, 2018

Listening...a lost art

Many times in our busy lives, we find ourselves praying a quick prayer here and there and then moving on to the next thing on our "to do" list giving no time to listening to see if maybe God has something to say to us. We do a lot of talking, He does a lot of listening.

I think listening could fall under the heading of "a lost art." We are too busy with our own life's to listen to God or others. Many times we are spending more time coming up with a response than listening to what is actually being said to us. Many times I am guilty of this.

I am in a season in my life where I am being called to listen.

I have already come to the realization that when I have my quiet time and even throughout my day, if I close off the loudness of the world, I have more of a chance to hear what God has to say to me.

Now God is leading me to realize the importance of allowing others to talk and share what is important to them. People need to be heard. In this busy world- with all the hustle and bustle there doesn't seem to be as much interaction with others. We can give people the gift of not only our time but also an listening ear.

I had lunch with a friend earlier this week and she shared something with me that I wanted to share with you. My friend shared how she had been at a self defense class for women and girls. Her daughters were in the class. A lady was there who was working on an article for a church magazine. She began talking to my friend and asking her opinion of things. When the conversation was over my friend felt overwhelmed with happiness and while driving home she was trying to figure out why she felt so happy. And it dawned on her that it was the fact that someone had asked her opinion!

Too often we are quick to share our thoughts and opinions about things but aren't interested in other peoples thoughts or opinions.  My friend expressed the same feeling I have had. It really does feel good to have people interested in our thoughts and opinions.

We do a lot of talking, maybe we should do a lot of listening as well. Just like Jesus does!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)