Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Healthy Tidbits and My Homework Assignment

Last week I shared that I had started going to a series of meetings called "Reversing Diabetes." Last weeks home work was to read the "Full Plate Diet" book that they gave us at the meetings. This week we got another book and homework assignment. The "Full Plate Diet" book was easy to read through during the week. This new book will take a bit more time- of course they don't expect the whole thing read during the week. Thankfully.
One thing I love about this book is that the last section has recipes!!! I look forward to trying some out!

I also won a little prize! I love free things! Just one more incentive to go and learn more things.

This series of meetings has not been without its pushing me outside of my comfort zone. I was not told that I needed to go through their screening panel last time - someone said they were offering the A1C test for 10.00 so I thought all of that other stuff was just for those wanting to have that test done. So on the second meeting I went through the screening panel - had to have my weight and height taken and blood pressure. That took some preparing myself for- I don't like to weigh especially since the card with info stays with them and there are a lot of people who can see the info. Anyway that is one part that was out of comfort zone - the other is the 20 minute session with a fitness instructor. Each week we do and learn something new - while we are exercising.

One interesting thing that I learned this week was that exercising helps the brain to grow and the synapsis to work better. I am sorry - since I was working out I was not able to take good notes so I may not have said that correctly but you get the idea. Exercising is good for brain health. It helps you think better and to have better memory. Who doesn't want a better memory?!

I look forward to what all I can learn from this book. The book I read last week was revolutionizing for me. It has helped me realize that I need to incorporate more fruits, veggies, and whole grains into my diet in order to get enough fiber. I think I mentioned it last week but 40 grams of fiber is what is a great target to shoot for. Fiber helps the food you eat to move more slowly through the body - helping to keep your blood sugars steady.

I wanted to share just a bit of a testimony with you all about how God is in control of even the little details. So mid -November is my last appointment with my oncologist. It will be the 5 year mark since my surgery!! I had really wanted to get my well woman appointment along with mammogram done before that appointment but when I called my Dr several weeks ago to schedule an appointment - the soonest I could get in was mid December. I was disappointed. After learning a lot of the things I have been learning - I have figured out that it was NO accident that it will be a little over 3 months till my appointment. God knew that I was going to have my A1C tested and with the choices I was making mostly good but too many bad choices- my number would be too high. He graciously allowed me time to get it better under control before it will be tested. I am so thankful for that.

I have been reminded of the importance of exercising especially after meals to help the blood sugar not spike as high. You can lower your blood sugar level by 1-3 points per minute of exercise - when you are exercising after a meal. How's that for another healthy tidbit?! It doesn't have to be intense. Just get up and march in place. Maybe some stepping from side to side. Maybe a walk around the block or two. Just try to add some movement to your schedule after you eat.


3 comments:

  1. Oh I am SO glad that you are going to that class! Their book choices are excellent! I have this new one as well, and “The End of Diabetes” is an excellent one! I wonder if they will continue to have different books for you to read. I have come to the conclusion that it is never a waste of time or money when we are educating ourselves in good health! And whatever we learn and put into practice, ends up blessing our family as well, even if they are in a different place in their journey. And I am glad you won the little prize—that is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm only on the second chapter but it has already been a huge blessing. And has inspired me to work harder to reach my goal! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard to find good recipes for diabetics. Jeff is a diabetic...

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories