Wednesday, October 31, 2018

The Answers Were Found In Chapter Four

The beginning of October I began going to a "Reversing Diabetes" meetings put on my a university nearby. The first week our home work was to read the Full Plate Diet book, where I learned we needed to shoot for at least 40 grams of fiber per day. When I looked through the book and saw how many grams of fiber was in the different foods - I realized that in order for a person to get that much fiber a day it would be wise for a person to eat a plant based diet. you don't get fiber from meat and dairy and not much from processed foods either.

Then the next week we were given the book The End of Diabetes  by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It was a much longer book and would require a longer period to read it. As I read this book I was encouraged by how important it is to be a nutritarian. Many people say they are a vegetarian or a vegan but still eat a lot of processed foods and don't get much nutrients. The focus of this book is to eat a highly micronutrient diet!

When you eat the high micronutrient foods your body gets what it needs and you feel satisfied. When you eat a lot of processed foods your body will start to experience withdrawal symptoms when the food is out of the digestive track which is called "toxic hunger." When you eat the highly processed foods you will have more cravings for things that are not good for you.

When you eat the high micronutrient foods you can eat more and feel satisfied without an over load of calories. You will not only feel satisfied but you will feel more calm about food in general. You will go longer without feeling hungry because you are not feeling toxic hunger. Eating a plant based diet will give your body what it needs. You will not have to bother with counting calories because you will be eating veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds and whole grains and you will feel satisfied and will not experience toxic hunger.

I enjoy life so much better when I am eating a plant based diet. And when I experience true hunger. I am calmer about food and I really enjoy what I am eating.

I am going to share some of the great quotes that I found very helpful in the book - The End of Diabetes and I am hoping between what I have shared and the quotes - you two will find the answer to getting on the wagon and staying on.


"A high-micronutrient diet does not just improve health for your body, but it also decreases food cravings and sensations leading to overeating behavior." pg. 56

"True hunger serves as an important guide to promote enjoyment of food..... When we eat when we are hungry, food tastes much better and we are physiologically primed for proper digestion, hunger, in the true sense of the word, indicates that it is time to eat again." pg. 58

"The critical message is that the wrong food choices lead to withdrawal symptoms that are mistaken for hunger." pg. 59

"Toxic hunger is heightened by the consumption of caffeinated beverages, soft drinks, and processed foods."

Toxic hunger appears after a meal is digested and the digestive track is empty, and it can feel extremely uncomfortable, which can make us think we need to eat or drink a caloric load for relief." pg. 59

"The secret to beating this vicious cycle is to focus on micronutrient quality. Only then will the desire for excess calories cease." pg. 63

"The secret is to desire few calories. The high consumption of low- calorie, high-nutrient foods such as raw veggies, cooked greens, beans, and seeds prepared in delicious combinations make you feel physically full from all the fiber and satisfaction from all the chewing. You lose the addictive cravings, and then you simply and naturally desire less food. It makes it quite simple to lose lots of weight." pg. 65

"Beans, green vegetables, seeds, and some fruit are high in soluble fiber. Soluble fiber supplies a gelatinous-like material in the bowel. It is not absorbed and does not give us calories. Soluble fibers is very important, as it slows the absorption of glucose and helps lower cholesterol. Beans are especially high in soluble fiber."

Insoluble fiber - roughage - is important too. It provides bulk to our stool and keeps us regular. And guess what: seeds, nuts, vegetables, and yes, beans have plenty of insoluble fiber too." pg. 91

"Legumes such as beans, lentils, peas, and chick peas fall far below grains on the list of foods Americans eat. However, legumes are richer in nutrients, protein and fiber, and they contain much higher levels of resistant starch." pg. 91

So in review - there are two types of hunger - Toxic hunger and True hunger. What we eat will determine which kind of hunger we will experience. When we eat a lot of processed foods we will experience more toxic hunger. When we eat a high micronutrient diet we will have much less food cravings and we will experience true hunger with helps us enjoy our food better.

What I have shared with you today is just highlights from chapter 4 - the chapter that I found the secret  to how to stay on the wagon and how to get on the wagon if I fall off! I was so excited because I really hadn't known if I would ever learn the reasons behind this thing that just kept happening to me. I am So very thankful that God led me to this series of meeting and that He gave them the wisdom to know that this book would give such awesome answers!!! I hope that this information will bless you as you try to live a healthier live.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)