Monday, April 22, 2013

Farmgirl..AKA Lisa :o)

So if I have not been doing enough stuff around here to make me feel like a farmgirl - well here I am at it again.
I have a patch of lambs quarter in my back yard. Alot of people would see this stuff and just think it was weeds but it's not. This stuff is edible and is very nutritious. Look it up - you will be surprised. I have not had any in a long time but tomorrow I will be cooking some up. this is the patch after I picked enough to fill a produce bag. I just took my scissors out there and cut down some of the big ones - plant by plant. There are a few weeds growing up in there so I just did my best to cut the lambs quarter. But tomorrow I will sort through them before I cook them. They are good to saute them with olive oil and salt. Of course there are a lot of things you can do with them, that is just how I will be cooking mine tomorrow.
I just love the ability to go out there and pick enough of this to make a great sized serving, without any work from me to get the plants to this point - except making sure I did not mow or weed eat that area. It's really neat how the simple things in life bring so much happiness.
Today I spent a great deal of time in my back yard working. There is a lot of work to do out there, but I was able to get a good dent in getting the stuff done. And it feel so good to be able to sit on my back porch and see the improvements. The weather was great here today- the highs were about 78-80 degrees. The sun was shining and a cool breeze - well that is because the day started in the 50's. I love weather like that. Tomorrow the highs will only be in the 60's and we have a chance of rain. If it rains I won't have to water our plants but if it does not rain - watering our plants will be on my to do list. I am doing my best to enjoy what ever the weather is like- because summer is just around the corner and before too long we will be lucky if the lows get into the 70's at all.
I hope you all are doing well. :o)

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen or eaten lambs quarters, but will have to check them out if I can find them anywhere! My newest thing is learning to eat/cook kale in different kinds of ways. I planted some baby kale plants in my garden bed, and hope they grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you with love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories