Monday, April 15, 2013

a shepherd looks at PSALMS 23...a review

 

a shepherd looks at PSALMS 23

by Phillip Keller
 
We've all read Psalms 23 and for those who haven't, they've probably heard it read at a funeral. It seems to be one of the most beloved psalms for a person who is going through the shadow of the valley of death. And a wonderful psalm of encouragement for those who have lost a loved one. 
The only problem that I find with this passage in the Bible is that it is one of those passages that we've read/heard so much that we don't usually take the time to dig deeper. Well one of the books that I have finished reading recently, helps us do just that!
 
"A shepherds look at Psalms 23" is a book that although it was written in 1970, it has not lost any of its relativity for us today. It was written by Phillip Keller, who was a shepherd in Africa. So he has a much better understanding into what David was talking about in the verses of Psalms 23.
Throughout the 142 pages, the author helps us to understand that this chapter is actually speaking of the Kind Shepherds care of His sheep all throughout the year and its life. No more will I look at this chapter and think that it only has relevance to someone in the last days of life. Although, it is very helpful for that time period in each of our lives, this chapter shows us what great care the Shepherd gives us all through our lives.
I love books that help deepen my relationship with Jesus Christ. And this was certainly one of them. This is the kind of book that I love to read and keep in my library for future reference. I would highly recommend this book. It was such a blessing to me. I hope you, too, get a chance to read it.
 
By the way - it looks like there might be a few places on the Internet to down load the book for free. So if you are interested in reading it - you could look it up and see.
Here is the psalms. As you read it consider this is a loving Shepherd taking care of his sheep all through the year:
 
 
    "A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters. 3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life;
 And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. "
Psalms 23
 
If you have read anything that has helped you have deeper insight into this chapter of the Bible please share in the comment section. I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

  1. Love the books you sent, thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise - I am glad that you liked them. I hope you enjoy them!
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

27: The Facts About Fats - Part 2