Wednesday, September 22, 2010

An Idea of What I am Eating...

So after my seminar one day - I looked on my shelf to see what cookbooks I had that would be good resources of recipes to help me in my journey to a healthier me. Well here is one of several cookbooks that I have.
This cookbook - I just happen to have bought in the last 4 months. Someone was talking about how much they liked it and I really thought that I should get the cookbook. It looks to have a lot of really good recipes. So far I have only tried 2 of them but have liked both of them.

So just in case some of you are wondering how I am eating now - I will share one of the new recipes that I really like!
Coconut Curry with Greens

1 small onion, chopped

2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated or chopped fine

2 tsp. salt

1-2 tsp. curry powder

1 medium carrot, sliced

2 C. chopped fresh greens, OR 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, drained

2 C. cooked black beans (or Lentils or Garbanzo beans)

14 oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained

1 can coconut milk

1 C. golden raisins(optional)

1. Place onion, garlic, ginger, salt and about 1/4 -1/3 cups water in a medium sized kettle. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.

2. Add the sliced carrot; cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.

3. Add the chopped greens and simmer 3 more minutes, adding a little more water, if needed.

4. Add beans, tomatoes, curry powder, milk and raisins. Heat and serve over rice.

Makes about 8 cups.
*********************
When I make this recipe, because our family is not really big on using ginger, I do not put the full amount in. And I know that the raisins at the end are optional - but the flavor of them pop in this dish and well worth the addition of them!

This makes enough for our family that we eat it for a meal and then I have left overs for at least 2 more meals. And that is a good thing because then I can have them instead of being tempted to eat something not quite so healthy. You will be surprised at how good this is and just remember there is so many nutrients in this dish.

This recipe is from my "7 Secrets Cookbook" by Neva and Jim Brackett (pictured above)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Just check in on you. Lokks like you have busy cooking some yummy foods. I posted a salmon recipe you might like.
    Hugs,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lookin' good! Makin' me hungry just reading:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories