Friday, September 3, 2010

Meekness?

This week I learned something new. I used to think that being "meek" meant being quiet and shy. But as I have been reading my "The Refiner's Fire" book, I have discovered that being meek is so much more - and something that I struggle with.

In the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary -
Definition of "MEEK"
1: enduring injury with patience and without resentment

Here are some of the characteristics of the "meek":

1. "Meekness continually seeks grace and mercy for those who hurt you."

Numbers 12:3 tells us that, "Moses was very meek, above all the men which were upon the face of the earth."

And if you study his life you will find that over and over again the children of Israel would complain and blame him for all of there problems and over and over again Moses would stand in the gap and ask the Lord to be merciful with them. I don't know if I could have had that much patience or meekness.

2. "Meekness does loving actions for the rebellious."

"For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." John 3:17

"God calls us not to criticize but to save." page 103

3. "Meekness initiates reconciliation."

"Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; 24. Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift." Matthew 5:23 - 24

4. "Meekness does not try to defend itself under injustice, but trusts the situation to the Father."

"Pride is the primary enemy of meekness."
"Pride often masquerades as justice." (page 104)


"In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah." Psalms 62:7-8

There are two other situations that come to mind as I read these characteristics. When Stephen was being stoned, do you remember what he did?


"And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.60. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep." Acts 7:59-60

And what about when Jesus Christ was crucified?

"Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. And they parted his raiment, and cast lots." Luke 23:34

These are all excellent examples of meekness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision