Sunday, April 3, 2011

Reading Corner and More

This past week I finished reading "Little Town on the Prairie" and then read and finished "These Happy Golden Years." I LOVED this book, as you can probably tell just with the fact that it only took me some time on 3 days to ready the entire book. I have been so pleased with this set of books. I had watched the entire series of "Little House on the Prairie." And I have to say that the book series was so much better. I understand that they had to add stories in order to have so many different stories in the TV series. But there were several areas that I felt like they did not do the books justice. The one difference that I really did not like was the fact that in the TV series they made it seem as if Laura was really wanting to get married but her parents made her wait for about 3 years- and in real life they courted slowly for those years - not in a hurry to get married. Almanzo was such a gentleman and they seem so much more soul mates when you read the books.

Anyway I really have enjoyed them and I have just the thin book - "The First Four Years" left to read. Oh and I had found at Goodwill~ "The Days of Laura Ingalls Wilders - book one - Missouri Homestead." So I will read it and hope that I find find the read of the books -Well I think I will start reading this book first and see if I like it enough to be wanting the rest of them. I have another series or two that I would like to eventually read.


Well I just looked up these books on the internet and read some reviews on Amazon.com, and I really don't know if I want to read these books or not. What I have really liked is that I know what I am reading is true stuff about this family. So I will have to think about it. And look in my bookcase and see what other books I have that I might rather read. I know I have a series or two that I would like to read, don't know if they will be anything as good as these books have been.


*****************************************


Well the weather this week end has been very nice. In fact, yesterday it got quite warm. We were able to take our Granddaughter to the Zoo!! I had not been in a long time so we really enjoyed our time there. We did not go through the entire thing because SweetPea started getting tired and we wanted to get her out of the heat. On the way home at about 5pm our temperature gauge was saying 87 degrees - yep- already getting warm around here. The good news is that it is still getting cool at night - which will not happen for very much longer around these parts. So far we have had our house opened up - letting fresh air in. I love this time of year. *****************************************


Well I hope you all have a great week. I have a long list of things that I would like to get done this week. I am going to have to learn some new things in order to finish some of the things on my list, but I really want the things done so I will be doing my best. Stepping outside of my comfort zone and hoping for a good result. :o)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! The books were much better than the tv series. :)

    Oh! And I have just the perfect book for you. It's called Laura: The Life of Laura Ingalls Wilder by Donald Zochert.

    Here's a link if you want to read about it:


    http://www.amazon.com/Laura-Life-Ingalls-Wilder/dp/0380016362/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301920296&sr=1-24

    I'll never forget how excited I was to find it more than 20 years ago in a store in California! It's a book about what really happened to the Ingalls all those years--all the stuff Laura left out of her series of books. Plus it has amazing pictures of the family, too.

    I'm so glad you are enjoying these books! The First Four Years is a difficult book to read as you've probably heard--difficult to see Laura and Almanzo go through such hard times. But to see their never-say-die spirits is encouraging!

    Thanks so much for your nice comments at my blog! ... Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's time for us to get a new set of Little House books- we've read the covers off of our much-loved set.

    Like you, I'm enjoying the cool evenings before the real heat sets in. It feels like it went from winter straight to summer!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories