Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Brighten The Corner Where You Are

Today God reminded me of a song that we used to sing in Sabbath School all the time. "Brighten The Corner Where You Are" What a great message. This was the best video of the song that I could find.



Today on my way home from work - I stopped by our mailbox that is out front. As I was getting the mail, I saw a lady walking down the road. As she got to the next driveway - she stopped for a bit and I could tell that she was tired. Well I felt like I needed to get back out on the road and ask her if she needed a ride. When I pulled up and asked - you could tell by her voice and her face how tired she was. She had been walking for over 45 minutes and with our temps being in the 90's it was pretty warm. She accepted my invitation and said could you take me to the railroad(2 miles down the road) I said yes I can do that. As we visited I found out that things had been pretty rough on her lately. And I was so glad that the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart. I had not really wanted to actually tell this story but I could not think of another way to write all of this out and actually came up on a wall. But I felt that the message was very important to write about.


So as we got closer to the railroad tracks - I asked her if she lived nearby and that I would take her home. So we turned off of the main road and onto a road. She was so thankful and told me God bless you as she got out. On my way home, I watched the amount of miles that she would have had to walk - she would have had another 3 miles to walk - after walking 45 minutes.



As I was driving home - I was happier than I had been on my way home from work. And I was glad that I had been able to be of help. Then the thought came into my mind - Brighten the Corner where you are! And I thought - you know it seems too often that we get so wrapped up in our own troubles and all. And all that does for us is bring us down. And if we can move ourselves out of the center of our lives and allow God back into His rightly place. Then we can be used by God - to brighten other peoples lives around us. And what is so cool about this is that when we do that - we become happier people.



I decided that I needed to allow God to use me more to brighten other peoples lives. Well not too long after I was thinking about this idea, a friend called. This is a friend who is very busy and we don't get to talk much. But as we visited, she shared with me how very stressed she is because she has SO much on her plate right now. After we got off of the phone I looked at the paper that I had written the words on- Brighten The Corner Where You Are. And I prayed and asked God - How can I brighten her corner?



I think that I will be taping that piece of paper up by my computer as a reminder - to allow God to use me to Brighten other peoples lives and not to just focus on myself all the time. :o)

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful thing happened because you allowed yourself to be used to help this lady walking. How many times we hear the Holy Spirit giving us a nudge to help someone, and we get so busy that it is too easy to push the thought aside...I'm glad you listened this morning and helped her, and thanks for sharing the experence with us. I will have to be on the "look out" more and see if I can brighten MY corner!

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking