Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Repurposing and a Project Complete

As you all know I have been getting into canning and not only canning but storing food in mason jars. This will help them last longer. Well once I got this great craftsman shelving unit to put in my sun room - that is when I heard that you need to keep your food in a dark, cool place. Well lots of sun comes into our sunroom. And so I began to think - how can I solve this issue and still be able to get the things I need when I want to without a lot of hassle, that was the important thing. I had come up with an idea to use some insulation board around the shelving unit but that would be hard to get in to get what I needed and I use stuff on this shelve. So I had to put my thinking cap on and just think about it for a while. 


Then I came up with the idea that I could make a curtain. And I knew the exact fabric I wanted to use. A friend had bought me a couple of yards of fabric one time - it was one of the options of a boarder fabric for a Block of the Month we were doing. Although I liked the fabric - I did not like it for this quilt so I just folded up the fabric and put it in my drawer - thinking I can use it for something else. Well that something else was a curtain for my shelve. 

But the question then arose - how will I had the curtain- and when I was out rearranging some things on my shelf I found a package of these hooks- that had actually came with some rolls of food saver bags. Well I did not have room to hand the rolls of bags up anywhere but I had known that those hooks would come in handy sometime, so I have placed the bag on a shelf. So when I found the bag - I knew that was what I needed to do - I would just have to learn how to make button holes on my sewing machine. 

But while I was figuring out the best way to make the curtains and to do button holes I took advantage of the hooks - to hand some herbs on - drying them, getting them ready to start another batch of antibiotic elixir. 


Oregano 
Rosemary 
Once the curtain was up I did not think it would be a good idea to put the herbs there - I am afraid if the herbs had oils it could damage the fabric - what do you think? 

So I set up a temporary way to hand them so they could dry - and in less than a week they were dry! 
Here is my curtain. There is a place or two on that right side that I want to put up a little bit of velcro because I did not put the button holes in the right places and there is a gap on the top in a couple of areas. But other than that I am quite happy with how it turned out. It is longer than it needed to be on both sides - meaning that when the two pieces come together there is a pretty big overlay - so I have each side folded back a few inches. 

I can either just move the curtain out of the way or I can unhook the section I need in order to get in there and get what I need. Easy peasy! 
I am so happy with how it turned out. I am happy that I was able to repurpose a few things I had to make this project work - without any money spent - special for it!! I think that ability is now more than ever an important skill to have!! 

 

1 comment:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity