Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Two Ingredient Cough Syrup

Today I want to share how I made a natural cough syrup with only two ingredients. And more than likely you have these two things in your pantry already. 

I did not come up with this on my own. The youtube video below share many different great home rememdies and it will be well worth your time to watch. I highly recommend that you have a tablet of paper and to be ready to take notes. This information is well worth having on hand. If you are like me - even if I think something would be a great idea- I may not always remember it later, when needed, and especially with all the many things she talks about. 

You will only need 1 items for this cough syrup. Well two food items - you will also need a jar. I made mine in 2 pint sized mason jars. 

*Onions 
*Honey 




So the directions say to chop up onions. Then you will layer onion - about 1/2 inch and then pour 1 teaspoon over the onions and continue to do the layering until your jar is full. Then add about 2 teaspoons over the top of the onions. Then put your lid on. 

I think that she says that we need to shake it up ever so often. Not sure on that you will probably need to watch to make sure. I think she talks about onions in the beginning - then she continues on and talks about neat things you can do with garlic, ginger, potato, castor oil, and charcoal and maybe even more.  

You will need to let the jars sit for 24 hours and then you drain the liquid from the onions and this liquid is your cough syrup. 
Adults take 1 - 2 tsp 3 times a day. 
Children 1/2 - 1 tsp doses 

So for 2 pints I used 3 onions and about 1/4th of a cup of honey. I think pretty reasonable. 

So 24 hours later - you can see the onions have broken down - the onions had actually went down at least 2 inches or so. 
I drained the juice from the onions and I ended up with one full half pint jar of cough syrup! 


And No I have not tasted it yet. 

Yes - we paid 16.00 for this honey from a farmers market - it has the honey comb in it. I have heard that the honey comb has some healing properties as well. 

You can make this syrup up and just keep it on hand. In the video a lady said she kept a jar in her fridge all the time. Honey lasts a super long time - don't know if it ever truly goes bad. So this is a great thing to do in advance and have on hand for when you need it. 

Since local honey is said to help with allergies - it might even be something good to take if you begin to feel the drainage that comes along with allergies. 

Here is the video. 



1 comment:

  1. I have not tasted it yet - but I will try to later today and let you know. I am not coughing that much right now- I have had a bit of drainage but not too bad. This may be worth trying out. A friend was telling me about another cough syrup type concoction that the person said to use the purple onions - so it is probably up to you which type you use. The next batch I make may be the purple onions. :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity