Wednesday, October 7, 2020

An Unexpected Surprise in My Yard

For the last year or two I have had a plant that has these purple berries on it and I have wondered what they were. The birds loved them, I could sure tell that! But what where they? 

Recently someone showed a video about how they made an elderberry syrup and when I looked up the elderberry plant I was happily surprised to find out that it was what was growing in my yard. In fact, this year I had another plant start growing by my bird feeder and then I actually had a plant start growing in a planter- but it was a bit small so I have replanted it! 

One plant started growing by my birdbath this year! So happy to have it! 

And here is the original plant that I have had for a couple of years. I just didn't know what it was. 



I am not getting a whole bunch of the berries but I am picking them as I can and dehydrating them and storing them until I get a cup - then I plan on making myself some of the syrup to see how I like it. 


Yes - you can buy some dried elderberries but I have enough other things I want to put my money to - so for now I am making do with what I have and God blessed me with some elderberry plants in my yard and this year I am taking advantage of them!! I will share more when I actually make the syrup! 

Have you made elderberry syrup and if so what did you think? Anything I need to do before I make some? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity