Tuesday, July 10, 2018

YOU are worth it!

I have heard several people I know, including my mother-in-law, say, "Oh it's only me, I am not going to cook for just me." Well I am here to say you are worth taking the time to make yourself a healthy meal. And it doesn't have to take a lot of effort every single meal.

Many times people who don't want to go to the trouble to cook for just themselves end up eating junk. My mother-in-law admits to eating things like Ritz peanut butter crackers for a meal. There maybe a bit of nutrition, but compared with lets say a meal of a salad, sweet potato, and a bowl of black beans, it's not even a fair fight for the crackers. The body doesn't get the nutrition it needs in order to keep itself running properly with a package of peanut butter crackers for a meal.

In order to have healthy meals without a whole lot of effort at each meal takes a bit of planning. This can be done by cutting up things for a salad and then you will have salads for several meals - with no prep needed! 

It's hot here in Texas as you all know - so early in the morning I bake up a batch of sweet potatoes for a few days at a time. Then I peel them when they are cooled off and I put them in individual sandwich bags to pullout and heat up for my meal.

Once a week I like to grill up a batch of corn on the cob and then I put them in the fridge to pull out and heat up for my meals.

I soak beans overnight and then cook them in the slow cooker all day. This way I can have beans with my meals. Beans are great to have at all of our meals. They help with stabilizing our blood sugar. One combo I have recently found is while I am cooking up a batch of black beans in my slow cooker- if I will peel and cube some sweet potatoes and add to my beans. I have a delicious combo!

I like to make up a couple of loaves of bread ever other week - then I have a piece of bread to add to my meals. I love to toast them and spray some Parkay Butter on it and enjoy- flavor without the fat of butter.

You really can eat healthy without a whole lot of effort put out at each meal. I have given you just a few example of things you can do to eat healthier. I am sure you can think of even more ways to incorporate healthier foods into your diet without slaving in the kitchen every single meal. You are worth it and you will be glad you did! :O)

1 comment:

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories