Friday, July 27, 2018

When a door closes- another one opens

Ten years or more ago, I began going to the local quilt shop because of an invitation by some sweet friends. I had never quilted before but they assured me that I could do it. Besides it is only 1 block a month that you have to make - how hard can it be? Well there were times during those first few months when I was challenged to tears but I kept at it and am so thankful that I did.

Right after Father's Day, I found out that this quilt shop would be closing down at the end of August. I was sad. Going to Block of the Month each month puts me out of my comfort zone just enough to help me grow. Little did I know that God had bigger plans for my growth.

As I have shared, I have begun going to another church in my area(same denomination just different location). This church is an awesome church. It is a large church -that can be good in some ways and bad in others. But I am choosing just to look at the positives. One thing I love is that the pastor and others refer to our church family as a Forever Family. And really when you look at it in the perspective of Heaven - we are a forever family.

This church has different groups they have going on during the summer. Things like Calligraphy, Kayaking, Bible Journaling, Birding, Horseback Riding, and Tatting. I decided that I wanted to go to the Tatting class. I have been to two class so far and although it is a bit overwhelming - I know that it is what I am suppose to be doing right now. It is pushing me out of my comfort zone. It is helping me get past that learned helplessness. Instead of dwelling on the fact that sometimes it is hard for me to learn new things this class is showing me that if I give my best effort I just might learn something new. This is a great hobby because the supplies are very simple and it would be very easy for a person to take a project with them in their purse to work on while they wait at an appointment.

If you are interested -look up Tatting Shuttles and you will see what the tool looks like and how easy it would be to take along to work on any where.

So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought this book - which comes with a DVD as well, a shuttle, and 1 ream of thread - and I used the 40% off coupon that you can get on line - and was able to get all three for just under $17.00. I have not had a chance to look through the book or watch the DVD yet since I have been taking care of my granddaughter, but I look forward to checking it out.
Oh but don't you worry - I am not giving up on quilting at all. In fact, I had a $20.00 off fabric card from my local quilt store so I went and bought all this fabric to finish up a set of BOM blocks into a quilt - and I was able to get all of this - 1 - 1 yard, and 3 1/2 yards of fabric for about $11.00

 
I am so thankful I have several sets of past BOM to work on - plus several sets of BOM that are finished that I need to put together to make quilts. So I have plenty of things to keep me busy in my sewing room!
 
When it seems that God is closing one door - just keep on the look out for the next door that He will open. You will realize that God knows what is best for us and so we may be disappointed in the door closing but in the end we will grow into a more well rounded person if we will allow God to lead us in our lives. One door may close but another door will open. If God is leading- don't be afraid to walk through that door. :O)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)