Friday, March 7, 2014

A View Into What Chemo Day is Like

It has been a long day. But I am home now.

First I wanted to share a little bit of what it is like when I go for chemo- This is the chair that is exactly like the one I sat in across from it. Today I sat in area one- first time for this. It was neat cause I was sitting facing the whole room of 35 chairs.
 
It did not take me long to realize that I was the one taking the longest chemo in my area- as many people came and went while sat there having my treatment. Oh I wish I could be one so lucky to have an hour or so treatment and then get to leave - how awesome would that be. And to think of the less side effects of less chemo. But I have no control over that so I just have to trust that God is in control.
 
Apparently my blood levels were still good- I was disappointed that my dr and her nurse were out on vacation today - so I have a male dr. And so instead of answering my question - which was - are my blood levels still sitting really good. No he basically just said that the blood levels were good - that is why you will go on with chemo today. Well that was not my question but he did not seem to have time to answer my question - so when I call the nurse later this week to find out my CA125 number I will ask her.
 
Photo: An idea of how I spend my chemo days. Thanks for the prayers :0)

 
I am pretty tired tonight. I am given benedryl which makes me tired - the problem is that I am a light sleeper so I am not able to get much sleep at all- there is just too much going on- people talking- phones ringing - all sorts of noise.
 
I am working on drinking more water than I did last time- I want to flush this stuff out. I also took a Zofran tonight- my chemo nurse had told me that the first time and I had not realized how important it was to take it.
 
I have heard that it is better to stay on top of nausea because if you don't - it will be hard to get it under control once it is out of control. And that might have been part of what happened last time. Anyway I am doing what I can to try to have a better week. The first two sessions of chemo found me tired and worn down but not so miserable as I was the Monday after the last chemo.
 
Here is a photo of the line hooked up to my port. I am so thankful for the lidocaine spray that helps deaden the area before they place the large needed in- while I take a deep breath- to distract me.

Thought I would share another view- they have windows long the side of the room. It is nice to be able to look out and see what the weather is doing outside. Oh and by the way - wouldn't you know it - the weather was really nice today. Started out cool - like 38 and got up to close to 70 degrees- but I was stuck inside.
 
Ok - well it is getting late and I am tired so I am going to get off of here and get to bed. I hope you all are doing well. God bless and have a great week end! :O)


4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about that Doctor. I'm glad he isn't your regular doctor. You're in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, hope you got some rest. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa, you are going to see such an improvement in taking the Zofran on time, and drinking a lot of fluids!
    I thought of and prayed for you while I was sitting in my own chair getting the chemo...We were there from before ten until after 6pm! I was the last one, but I have to get 3 drugs the two chemo ones, and then the targeted drug (Herceptin) Each take about an hour, but that doesn't count the premeds that they give us...Long day, and it was nice out here too...Not that we saw any of the daylight since the rooms we get have no windows, but they are private rooms.
    I do all my visiting with people out in the waiting room before the doc sees me...Oh, and I was so tired already before I even got hooked up, that I almost forgot to put on my lidocane...Just barely got numbed enough by the time the nurse stuck in that huge needle! Yikes...Close call!
    I will be praying for you tomorrow too!
    Blessings and love~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)