Monday, March 17, 2014

A New House....Or (part 1) a rerun

A friend shared how today was the anniversary of the beginning of her blog. Well when I went back to find out when I started this blog- I found this series and thought I would share it again. . It is a little bit of my testimony - in which I learned to trust God. I hope you are blessed by it:
***************************************************

For several years before 2000, My husband and I would check the Internet and see what was available and we would drive around areas that we were interested in living looking for houses for sale. We knew we could not get one yet but we wanted to see what was available. During this time of looking my husband went with his friend Larry, who is also a realtor, to look at some new house. He really liked one of the houses that he looked at. When he got home we started looking on the Internet at floor plans for new homes available in our area. We had a lot of fun talking about what we really wanted in a house.

In January of 2000 we decided that we wanted to buy a brand new home. Our thought was if the house is new then we can move in and not have a lot of repairs to do and just enjoy the house. And there were hardly any houses in that area that the new house would be in at that time. So we picked the lot we wanted, the carpet, the tile, the bricks, and even the windows on the front of the house. We signed a contract but we got a contingency clause put in - that only if our house sold would we be obligated to buy the new house. Then we put the house on the market. We then started packing up everything that we did not need. The new house would not be done till July but we needed to have things packed and ready just in case the house sold quickly. We did some painting and cleaned up the yard and all. We were ready to sell the house. During this time period we would get could get a phone call at any minute from a realtor asking to be able to show the home. And so it was so hard - you really could not get into any time consuming project - just in case.

As the months rolled by we would periodically drive by the new house and see how the progress was going. It was neat to see it at every stage. We would take photos and dream of what we would do with the house. But still no buyer for our house.

I don't remember for sure if it was May or June but a guy decided he wanted to buy our house. Yay! Things were moving right along. Now we just had to wait for the house to be finished. Now I have to add that all along the way I was a little hesitant to believe that we were actually going to get this new house. I mean we did not have a lot of money, and I was not convinced that we would get it. I had prayed that God would not allow us to go through the walk through - if it was not going to work out.
Then our walk through was scheduled - it would be one week before the closing date. We went and we walked through the house and we noticed a few things that we thought that they needed to fix before we signed any papers. As we walked through we could imagine our things in the house, the new living room furniture that we had already picked out and bought and was scheduled to be delivered shortly after closing.

Boy - I did not know I was still upset about what I am about to share. But as we were walking through this nice,new house - I was in the closet - our big walk in closet - looking at all of the space. And I was so happy that I jumped up and down. It was going to happen! I just knew it. Remember I had prayed that I did NOT want to go through the walk through if we were not going to get it. Well anyway we went home and I can't remember if it was that afternoon or the next day but the man that was going to buy our house called and said - sorry I do not want it. We were so let down - it had been 7 months of us thinking we were going to get this house and now... we weren't. The financing company told us - oh you can still get the new house - just rent yours out. Well we were smart enough to know that we did not have enough money to pay both the mortgages if for some reason we could not get a renter. So we backed out of getting the new house. Had a little problems with getting our $500. back but that worked out.

During the next week or so I remember being SO mad at God. I just could not understand why he made us go through the walk through and then us not get this house. I was very mad. Eventually it died down and I was able to realize that if this had not been God's will for our lives I had to trust him. I still don't understand why we had to go through the walk through but I do know that His will was SO much better for us. Now if you go to where our house would have been - you see row after row of houses. I mean it is packed with houses. We never wanted that. We could not imagine what it was going to look like once all the house were built. So now I understand.. what we wanted ...really was not what we wanted or needed. And I need to trust Gods heart even when I can not see His hand.

2 comments:

  1. You are SO right! If God does not open the door for us to walk through, then it was not in our best interest to do it. We have had a very similar situation happen to us. Not with a house, but with a move to somewhere I really thought I wanted to move to. But now--years later--I can honestly say I am glad we did not end up moving there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is so good! Thanks for sharing this story. I look forward to "part 2".

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)