Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Old and the New Trails

 About two years ago I shared with you where I walked. You can click HERE to check it out.

A little over a month ago - I started walking. But this time I have not been going to the park to walk on the trail. There are a couple of reasons why I have not been going to the park. Even though it is only about 1 - 2 miles from my home - it would still use gas to get there and back. And with gas prices being the way they are and our finances being tight - I can not justify the usage of gas. Especially when I have a perfectly good place to walk from my home.

I live on a fairly busy road- Many people use our road to get to a nearby highway  - that is about 5-6 miles away - or to another busy road the other direction. So the very first part and the very last part of my walk each day is on a road that is a little busier than I'd like to be walking on- but once I get to a nearby road- this road takes me to a wonderful little neighborhood. When I first turn onto this road the first thing I see is a sign:

The way the road is - I can basically walk a figure 8 - although one end of the figure 8 is much smaller than the other side. There is basically a circle that is about 1/3-1/2 of a mile - depending on if you walk on the inside of the road or the outside of the road. I love this little neighborhood. There are a lot of big trees to provide a decent amount of shade- which has been a real blessing for me this past week - I have not been able to wear my contacts so I have been wearing my glasses - well I can't wear my sunglasses when I have my sunglasses on. And I have not been able to buy the sunglasses attachment thing for me glasses yet. So the shade has been nice. The neighborhood is quiet- mostly cause when I walk most of the kiddos are at school. When I walk in the evenings - which sometimes I do - there is a lot more activity on the road. When I walk in the mornings - I will see others walking as well. I have meant a few really nice people by walking there. I love watching the squirrels playing chase, hearing the birds chatter, seeing the squirrels playing keep away with the dogs. It is just a great place to walk.

Another great detail to where I walk is that part of the walk is up hill and part of the walk is down hill and part of it is flat ground. That up and down is great - for challenging me. A couple of years ago when I went to the health seminar - Dr. B shared with us how when you are walking it is great to mix up your walk by walking fast or running for a bit and then going back to normal speed for a while. Well by my walking up hill and down hill - and back and forth since I go around a circle which is the hill and down hill area - I challenge myself just fine.

So now my walking is much easier and easier to resist talking myself out of going. It is easy. I don't have to put any effort other than walking into it. And I love the place in which I walk. It is relaxing and great for my soul.

And if I get tired of where I am walking - I can always go back to the park and walk on the rail. I have options and that is great!

I hope you, too, have a place near your home that you are able to walk. It's really good for you. :o)

**********************
Ok - for those of you that prayed for me about my dentist appointment, I just want to report that it went great - so much better than I thought it would. Thanks for the prayers :O)

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it sounds like you have a lovely walk! Simple pleasures combined with exercise are wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories