Monday, October 14, 2013

Salt in my Kitchen....series



 Salt in my Kitchen


By:
Jeanette Lockerbie
 

Healthy Fear

 
Bible Reading:
    To the Chief Musician. Set to 'The Silent Dove in Distant Lands.' A Michtam of David when the Philistines captured him in Gath. Be merciful to me, O God, for man would swallow me up; Fighting all day he oppresses me. 2 My enemies would hound me all day, For there are many who fight against me, O Most High. 3 Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. 4 In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?   
Psalms 56:1-4
 
Your child snuggles close, whispering, "I'm afraid." It may be fear of the dark, fear of "something" lurking in the closet, or even an unnamed fear.
 
"There's nothing to be afraid of," you reassure the little one, trying to soothe his fears. But deep inside, you know there is. You have felt fear's chilling impact. Who has not?
 
Says the noted atomic scientist Harold Urey, a Nobel Prize winner, "I myself am a man who is afraid. All the wise men I know are afraid."
 
There is such a thing as healthy fear, a fear that does something about the problem. Fear of an epidemic, for instance, leads to immunization. Fear of an insecure future keeps insurance companies in business. The wise man of the Bible, Solomon, said: "The fear of the LORD prolongeth days"(Proverbs 10:27) Surely this is a healthy fear, this reverence that leads to a right relationship with God.
 
"The LORD will give you rest from your fear," is the prophet's comforting assurance in Isaiah 14:3. So, while the scientists' fears are understandable, you can confidently trust your today and all your tomorrows to God. His security-filled promise can allay the deepest fear.
 
"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee (Isaiah 41:10)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)