Friday, October 4, 2013

Sermon on the Mount...series...Foundation Work

The Sermon on the Mount by Carl Heinrich Bloch


 The Beatitudes

Foundation Work

Last week I began a series on The Beatitudes, which now I am feeling will actually be a series on the Sermon on the Mount... Notice the change in the title of this series.
 
I think that I missed an opportunity to build some ground work to begin this series, so today we will back up just a bit to do so.
 
One of the things that I think would be a good idea to get a better understanding of before we move forward with the Beatitudes is the meaning of the word blessed.
 
In my Andrews Study Bible, I found a great explanation that I would like to share with you:
 
"Blessed ~ Some have translated this as "happy." But it is doubtful that Jesus is speaking of the subjective state of happiness. The objective state of blessedness is independent of outward circumstances."  
 
The desire to be happy is a natural desire that we all have- it was placed in us when we were created. The easiest way to find true happiness in life is to be obedient to God's Word. When we try to achieve happiness by following the world's way- we are often left with emptiness instead. True happiness is my desire.
 
"Jesus shows his followers how man ought to live- not simply according to a set of rules but by an inner revolution of attitude and outlook. The glorious thing is that having set a seemingly impossible standard, he went on to give men the power to live up to it."
 Eerdmans' Concise Bible Handbook p. 264
 
I am so thankful that God has given us not only clear instructions to finding true happiness but He has also give us everything needed to achieve it.

And before I end this post - I would like to share a quote from a special book that basically condenses the 1st of the beatitudes in this one paragraph.

 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
Matthew 5:3
 
  "He who feels whole, who thinks that he is reasonably good, and is contented with his condition, does not seek to become a partaker of the grace and righteousness of Christ. Pride feels no need, and so it closes the heart against Christ and the infinite blessings He came to give. There is no room for Jesus in the heart of such a person. Those who are rich and honorable in their own eyes do not ask in faith, and receive the blessing of God. They feel that they are full, therefore they go away empty. Those who know that they cannot possibly save themselves, or of themselves do any righteous action, are the ones who appreciate the help that Christ can bestow. They are the poor in spirit, whom He declares to be blessed."
quote from "Thoughts From the Mount of Blessings" page 7

Now we are ready for the next beatitude next time. :O)


5 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I love the idea that we are not 'happy' in the earthly sense, but blessed always, regardless of circumstances. That is my goal. To take what God gives me and to be content that he is in control. A big goal!

    And oh yes, may I never be too content to rest on my laurels, but continue to increase holiness.

    Loved this today!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi :) Hey are we suppose to cool down ,and get rain?Ya know one of these days we need to meet up LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm. Good thoughts, and so encouraging to remember our circumstances don't determine whether we're blessed or not. I'm glad you're expanding the series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies - I would reply individually but for some reason I cannot get the reply button to work. Anyway I have really enjoyed studying more into the beatitudes. There is so much to learn - I am only scratching the surface.
    God bless~ Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“The Central Issue: Love or Selfishness?” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN...

Sorry I missed posting last week. Here is the 2nd lesson in this series. I am hoping it blesses you! :O)