Monday, October 28, 2013

Keeping Doors Locked

Long gone are the days that we could leave our doors unlocked. About 13 years ago - we lived in a house that was about a block or so off of a main interstate. We learned the importance of keeping doors locked while we lived there.

One time there were some guys that had just robbed a bank that were running from the police and they took the exit - not too far from our house and actually got out of their vehicles and were hiding in a nearby garage. Another time we had a lady hyped up on drugs come to our door -banging for help and when my husband opened the door -she tried to push her way into our home. Obviously help was not what she wanted from us. Anyway ever since these experiences - I have learned to keep my doors locked. I like to have the nice glass screen doors at our front door and at our garage door -and when we have the house opened up - and I have the wooden doors open - most of the time I have the nice screen doors locked. We just have a wood framed screen door for our back door. It is what we could afford at the time - and it works great most of the time.

Well last week our home phone went down- all day long. My husband called it in and the came out the next day to fix it. We needed a new phone line ran. He put a temporary line down and told us that another crew would come out later to bury the new line.

So today about 1:45pm - they arrived. A man came to my front door and let me know that the phone line would be down for about 10 minutes. I let him know if there was anything that he needed to let me know.

Well about 15 minutes later or so I noticed one of the guys in the back yard still working. And the other guy was turning their truck around and was about to drive out of the drive way. I was thinking ok - he will probably wait for the other guy and then they will leave. But no - he pulled out of the yard. About 5 minutes later- I walked into the kitchen and just happen to notice the guy in the back yard step around to our back door(the screen door) this door was locked. I hear a little bit of the door being moved - and I am thinking ok - if he needs me he will knock. Well as I continue to hear the door movement - I start to walk around to that door and I make it to the end of our bar - and he steps into my dining room - from my sun room on the back of the house. I stop and look at him like what are you doing. In his broken English he asks about if we have a gate - I say Yes its around that corner and point. I am thinking - you are in the back yard - you should have found the gate and not climbed the fence. He motions that he wants to go through the kitchen out the garage. I went ahead and let him. I went and locked the door after he left. Then I went out into the sun room and looked at the back door- it was locked. I look around thinking ok how did he get in? I called my husband and told him about it. Well we had a number of a manager in charge of the job - and so I gave the number to my husband to let that guy know what had happened. We were told that there is a policy that no one of these contractors are allow inside of the homes unless an ATT worker is present. So the guy not only broke into my home - but he broke a policy that his company has. The longer we thought of what had happened the more we thought that it would be a good idea to call the police and file a police report. I mean - this man knows where we live and if he was brazen enough to use a tool to unlock my back door and just walk into my home - when he knew I was home and could have easily just knocked or hollered and I would have helped him, then there is NO telling what this man would do.

Anyway I wanted to share this - to remind you all that the day and age that we live in - it is dangerous and if possible - please keep your doors locked. And if you, like me, have a door that is easily broken into then you might want to keep your guard up when the door is opened. Anyway hope you all stay safe.
***********************************
I go to the Dr tomorrow morning. Don't know what all answers I will get but hoping to find out what will need to be done now. Please pray that God will give the Dr. and I both the wisdom needed to make the right decisions. Thanks :O)

8 comments:

  1. I see white bg through Google chrome and IE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok - I was just wanting to let you know just in case it was like that for others. :O)

      Delete
  2. Man I lock my doors even with Jeff home LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad, but it is actually the safest thing to do. Glad I have always done it - but just have to put a few extra safety measures in place in certain situations.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are safe. God was clearly watching out for you! It is amazing how brazen people can be. Stay safe my friend. I am praying for your doctor's appointment. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marci- thanks so much for the prayers! Glad you are back! :O)

      Delete
  4. You're brave to let him through your kitchen... I would probably have screamed my head off and thrown an iron pot at him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth - I am so thankful that God had guided me to the kitchen so that I saw him head to the back door. Had I just walked in on him walking through the house or him just walk in on me without me seeing that - would have scared me more.

      Delete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking