Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Body Image Issues

(second post of the day - don't miss the other one)

I am a plus sized woman and being so means that some styles just do not look good on me. So in some cases I decided I did not like a certain think and would not wear it- stripes around and capris are two of those things.

But this line of thinking began long ago. Way back to when I was in about the 1st grade. I had some how gotten the idea that sweat shirts were just to hot for me to wear. So or a long time I would not wear them. Then my Mom found a really cute sweat shirt and since we lived in South Dakota at the time and it was cold - I wore it. And I like it. After that I had more of an open mind when it came to sweat shirts.

Then later when I was late teen- early 20's - I had decided that capris were just not flattering for me - so for the longest time I would not wear them. Then one day about 10 years ago, while shopping with my sister, I tried a pair one and liked them and decided to give them a chance. Now when the weather is warm - I will probably be in capris. I do not feel that shorts are modest and so unless shorts come to about my knees - I just don't wear them. So capris are my go to choice when it is warm. So glad I finally gave them a chance.

Well recently I have chanced my mind again. This summer I found a cute summer top that had stripes around- yep- I got it and I liked it. I have since found a short sleeved top and a 3/4 sleeved top- that have stripes around. So now what I do is try to go more by how much I like the top - and if I think it is cute and looks nice on me - I will get it.

So what is this whole post about- when it comes to what you wear - try it- you might like it. And if you don't then you know that you are making an informed decision. Don't let your size totally dictate what you wear or don't wear.

“Even the models we see in magazines wish they could look like their own images.”
~Cheri K. Erdman
 
“One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body. I got tired of hating myself.”
~Gabourey Sidibe
 
“Everybody has a part of her body that she doesn’t like, but I’ve stopped complaining about mine because I don’t want to critique nature’s handiwork … My job is simply to allow the light to shine out of the masterpiece.”
~Alfre Woodard
 
“There is nothing more rare, nor more beautiful, than a woman being unapologetically herself; comfortable in her perfect imperfection. To me, that is the true essence of beauty.”
―  Steve Maraboli

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I LOVE this post. How fun to ride along with you are you changed your ideas of what you liked, and what you could wear.

    Fashion loves to tell us what we should and shouldn't wear. I am big too, and I usually wear solid colors. But I found a cute top this summer that was so pretty, and a print. Surprised myself :)

    I think we should evolve in accepting ourselves, as long as we are healthy, don't you?

    Happy Wednesday!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ceil- You are absolutely right - we need to learn to accept ourselves. About 6 weeks ago - I decided to start walking and to cut caffienee drinks out of my diet - I try to limit my soda intake to one 12 oz can a day or less. I fell so much better when I do these things. So like you said work towards being healthy and accept who we are.
    I am glad that you enjoyed the post.
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't amazing how we can talk ourselves out of things without ever trying them? I do that a lot, too. Great post--I feel like I need the reminder to just be myself often, at least in the realm of hair, clothes, etc. SO easy to compare ourselves to each other, when we really don't have to.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

30: More Real Bread Stories