Friday, October 21, 2011

The Importance of Giving..Even on Our Special Days

I learned an important lesson this week courtesy of my Mom. Her birthday was Thursday so after work - I drove to her house to take her birthday gifts to her. After she had graciously received the gifts I gave her - she said is my birthday which mean it is time to give. I am thinking - what? And she took me to where she had been working really hard to get something special finished to give me:

A wonderful quilt! I love it!

The fabric here that has the hearts in it is the fabric that she knew I loved and this is the fabric that inspired the whole quilt.

I thought it was so generous and thoughtful of my Mom to give me such a lovely gift - on her birthday! She said that this is something she likes to do in order to keep herself from being too self centered.


Then I remembered last year she had given a quilt to a lady who has a very ill husband and lives miles away. So this was a great way to show her care - even though she could not drop by for a visit.


She really understands the verse- 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' (Acts 20:35b)


What a blessing this quilt is to me. I believe that quilters really understand ALL the work that go into making a quilt so we totally appreciate them - probably more than others can appreciate them. And not to mention that this quilt was quilted with Love. It is a really treasure to me - today and the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt--and what a lovely memory you now have of your mom and her unselfishness! She is a good witness to all of you of how we should think of others and try to do nice things for them.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)