Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Words...

Our words are powerful. We can use them to encourage or discourage. Our world would be a much better place if we would choose to encourage one another rather than discourage.

I have been thinking a lot lately about the power of words. Earlie this week, I was sharing my heart with a friend and I was totally caught off guard when she said to me, "that really sounds selfish." I even had to ask her what she just said because I just as so surprised. After that I no longer felt like sharing these personal thoughts and feelings. Actually it took a lot to fight back the tears and get through the rest of the conversation. I left our time together - discouraged. I know she did not mean to hurt my feelings.

Later as I was processing the whole ordeal, I realized how very important it is to listen to people. What a lost art listening has become. People need to be heard and have their feelings validated. You don't have to agree with someone to validate their feelings.

And what a blessing you are to those around you when you are willing to listen and show compassion. (I am very blessed to have some friends just like this!)

Through the power of the Holy Spirit, I will choose to be an encourager. How will you use your words? Just something to think about.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry this happened to you! Hugs!

    You are so right. We often do not realize how powerful our own words can influence someone else--either for good or for bad. A good thing to ponder and realize. And to pray for God to put a watch over our mouths.

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

29: My Favorite Fats for Baking