Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Steps to Knowing Him More Fully

The last couple of months, I have been reading through the gospels. It has been a real blessing. I have not hurried through them, no, I have savored each word.

It has really amazed me at how many times I have seen Jesus use phrases such as:

"...If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also." John 8:19b

"If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also. And from now on you know Him and have seen Him." John 14:7

"Jesus said to him, Have I been with you such a long time and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father. And how do you say, Show us the Father?" John 14:9

Jesus says over and over - if you know me - you know the Father.

We are to know our Father so much that people would know Him by knowing us. What a large order that is to fill?!

We can look at the life of Jesus in order to more fully understand what it takes to truly know our Father.

Many times I have also read that Jesus went to a secluded place to pray. So Prayer is very important in our quest to get to know our Father. And maybe also some quiet time in order to hear if God wants to speak to us. Too often our lives are so busy and noisy that there is hardly a chance to be able to hear God when he does speak to us.

I also believe that we really need to make sure that we take time daily to spend reading the love letter that Jesus left for us - The Bible. There are so many precious gems for us to find - if only we take the time to look.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, Unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it abides alone; but if it dies, it brings forth much fruit." John 12:24

I think it is very important that we die to self. This is an area that I am beginning to understand more myself. We want things our way and we hold on so tightly to our dreams that we are unable to surrender our will or our lives over to God. When in fact, there is no better place to be - but in the will of God.

WWJD? What would Jesus Do? This is really a good question for us to ask ourselves.

"Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in Me? The Words that I speak to you I do not speak of Myself, but the Father who dwells in Me, He does the works." John 14:10

Allow Jesus to dwell in our hearts. Through the power of the Holy Spirit we can live our lives in such surrender that others may see a glimpse of the Father in us.

Dear Lord~ May we be willing to surrender our lives and our wills over to you. And allow you to work through us. Not my will be done but yours. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. And I have not forgotten to get you info on publishing devotionals--just need a bit of time to look up the web site I want to send to you. . .

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)