Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Importance of D

Vitamin D...That is!


This week my MIL got results back on her blood test for Vitamin D. The nurse called and said that the normal levels were 30-80 and my MIL number was a 7. Yep- a 7. That is low. The Dr. put her on a prescription of vitamin D for 3 months and they will do a blood test again to see where the level is then make adjustments to what she is taking.

My Mother had her levels tested several months ago - so I asked her what her levels had been. She eats a very good diet and gets outside and walks almost every day. She said she had been taking a Vitamin D with Calcium tablet for a year before she had this blood test done and her number was a 28. So just under the normal range. I think that the Dr wanted her to double what she had been taking.

Well this is just one more reason why it is important to spend some time outside getting sunshine - of course getting fresh air and exercise is also very important.


I have done some research and come to find out that it is important to have a good level of Vitamin D - when your levels are low -your chances for breast cancer and colon cancer increases.

And of course when your levels are lower - your chances for osteoporosis increases.

Oh one more bit of information - my Mother-in-law was measured and come to find out, she had shrunk 2 inches.

My Dr. told me that she tells all of her female patients that are over 35 years of age need to take a Vitamin D/Calcium combo. My Dr. told me to take one in the morning and one in the afternoon.


So from all of this - what is the take away? Be sure and get plenty of sunshine when available and when you are over 35 it is important to take a Vitamin D/ Calcium combo daily. Be sure and take care of yourself. You are worth it! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision