Monday, December 6, 2010

No Safe Level of Exposure

So I shared a while back that I work in an environment of cigarette smoke. And how I thought that I am becoming more and more sensitive to it. Over the week before Thanksgiving - I worked around a whole lot of it and I kept getting super hot and nauseous feeling. I would have to go outside to get some fresh air in order to feel better. That went on - off and on - throughout that week. Then today at work - I started to feel that way again and then as soon as I felt that sickness come over me I could distinctively smell the smoke(even though those smoking were in the front part of the store.)

I had already realized that I needed to try to work some way out in order not to have to be around the smoke as much. I had been praying about it. And I had left it in God's hands this morning. I went to work and when I got to feeling sick - I realized that I needed to talk to my MIL about it. I was SO nervous about it. I don't want to hurt her feelings. Well God opened a door for me to talk to her. And the result of the conversation was not what I had wanted. We have had some problems with out oven. We actually have an old Pizza Oven that we use. Well the top half had gone out and the bottom part was not working as well - so my MIL called a repair man. He came out and said that it would cost too much to get it fixed and so it would be better to get a new oven. Well when I told my MIL that I was becoming more sensitive to the smoke - she tried to put it off onto just the heat of the oven. Well the oven was not even on when I was there this morning so today's feeling sick could NOT be the oven.

So I left just feeling kind of defeated. I had really felt that I was suppose to talk to her about it. And so I just felt that maybe it was going like it was suppose to. Nothing was really decided. I had asked to go in on Sundays - when the store is closed to make up the Kolache Dough and the Cookie Doughs. Like I said nothing was decided.

So I got home and decided to look "Second Hand Smoke" and you would not believe all the information that I found.

"The scientific evidence shows that there is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke."

This just totally told me that I HAVE to make a choice. You know once we know truth - we are responsible to act on that truth. If we do not - we really are still acting on the truth - and we have just decided to ignore truth.

There is so much information out there and if you are interested in the information just put "secondhand smoke" in your search bar.

Here is a list of Cancers that have been linked to second hand smoking:

Lung Cancer - one site states that 3000 nonsmokers die every year from lung cancer caused by second hand smoke

Nasal Sinus Cavity Cancer

Cervical Cancer

Bladder Cancer

And exposure to second hand smoke hastens hardening of the arteries, a condition known as Atherosclerosis. One thing that I read on several sites is that not only are the rates of lung cancer higher in people exposed to second hand smoke - they also have a higher chance of heart disease.

Oh and here is something interesting - Children that are exposed to second hand smoke - have a lot more dental cavities. That was news to me. I realized that it caused breathing problems like asthma, bronchitis, and the such...

Anyway so once I realized that there is NO safe level of exposure - I knew that I have to make the changes. I have been open to making the changes that God has led me to so far - and I have to be willing to make the changes needed since he has brought this to my attention. God is in control and I have faith that the best place for me to be is in the will of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)