Thursday, December 16, 2010

Breathing Easier

I have worked in my MIL's bakery for many years(which a break in there to give me time to get our house ready to sell and to move and get settled.) I have enjoyed my job most of the time. But there were many years that around Thanksgiving and Christmas - things would get tough. With it only being my MIL and myself working there - sometimes it was overwhelming to get the 70-100 pie orders. And there were some mornings( the 2 days before Thanksgiving were the worse) that I would cry because I was so stressed out at how much work we had to do. Well last night I cried but for a different reason.

But in order to get to that part of the story we need to rewind just a bit.
Well yesterday morning, I felt like it was the right time to write my MIL an e-mail to ask her about changing my schedule so that I would not have to be around the cigarette smoke. I had felt that this is what I needed to do for my health. I had realized that there could be some consequences for what I did. I have worked with my MIL long enough to have a feeling of how she would react. But I had hoped that she appreciated what all I did for her and be willing to work with me. Anyway I was a little apprehensive after I sent the e-mail. I then decided that I had turned my life and my will over to God and that I felt like this was what I was suppose to do and that I needed to leave it in His hands.

I went on a good walk with my Mom and then just after my lunch my sister called and asked me what I had planned for the afternoon - I said going to Goodwill with you. Well that was because all of a sudden I realized that it was half price day at Goodwill and she had just told me she was headed home from work. So I drove to her house and we drove to one of the local Goodwills that we don't normally get to go to. We spend a few hours but I ended up with 7 shirts - one for church- for only about $2.00 a piece. And that is a great price to pay for clothes - especially if you do not know if you will be wearing that same size the next winter. I need to go through my closet and try stuff on because I realize that a lot of it is getting to baggy to wear. Anyway I will try to do that later today and then I can replace those items with the ones I just bought.

I did not make it home till a little after 7pm -(I had to stop by pharmacy to get my husbands meds too) and then checked my e-mail- and sure enough there was an e-mail from my MIL. And it seems like I started the week with a job and will end it without one. I was not surprised, but I was hurt. I was hurt because I did not feel appreciated enough for her to work with me. She basically told me to take the next couple of months off. And she never did say that the schedule that I had asked her about would work then. So I figure this was her nice way of ushering me out of there. You know why would I just take a couple of months off. Anyway so I was sad.

But I am still trusting God. And I realize that it is the best thing for me. Because no matter if anyone is smoking there or not -there are enough chemicals in that building from ALL of the smoking that goes on - that it would still be dangerous to be there.

I am so glad that God prepared me for this outcome. I told my MIL to let me know when she wanted me to come back and that there was a chance that I may not be available because if God opens another door - I will have to follow His leading. So sometimes God opens doors and sometimes He closes doors - we just have to learn to trust Him ALL of the time. :o)

* Thanks Judy for the idea for the title of this post :o)

4 comments:

  1. Seriously. I cannot believe that people can smoke around food.

    In Michigan, one must almost drive to Indiana just to smoke outside.

    But I am sorry that you were not met with understanding. That has to be troubling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you--I understand why you feel hurt. You have worked for her for a long time, and long hours too. But you are so right--God IS leading you. Later, you will be able to look back on this situation and see perhaps why it may have been better for you to just be able to get out of the situation, instead of having her work with you. God will turn this to your good. Prayers are with you, and Jason too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave, courageous, and building character. You will be rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is unfortunate that she has not appreciated you and couldn't try to accommodate you. It is her loss.. Someone recently posted this on her blog. Is 30:15 In quietness and confidence shall be your strength..It sounds like you are a stronger person with all of the positive changes you are making.God will provide.. (:

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)