Thursday, January 7, 2021

Shaving Baking Time From Scalloped Potatoes

 So this week we have been talking about a great way to process your potatoes in order to keep from having so much waste and to help potatoes (and other fruits and veggies last longer) We had talked about processing the potatoes to make them ready to make scalloped potatoes. And we learned what to watch out for to prevent black spots on the dehydrated potatoes. Today I want to share something great I learned during this process. 

If you have ever made scalloped potatoes - you probably already know that it can take several hours. I think I go by the recipe in my Betty Crocker Cookbook and it says to cook for 30 minutes covered with foil and then remove the foil and cook for another hour to hour and a half. Plus the time to peel the potatoes and make the white sauce- it ends up taking quite a bit of time to make them. 

Well when I did my first batch of potatoes _ I had wanted to do a batch for a 9x13 batch and then a 8x8 pan of potatoes but it ended up looking as though I would not have enough room in my dehydrator to do both batches at one time. I had already blanched the potatoes by the time I realized this so I decided to go ahead and make up that 8x8 batch of scalloped tators. I figured out that by just blanching your potatoes before baking the scalloped potatoes - you save some time on baking. It just does not take as long to bake. So if you are ever in a hurry to get your scalloped potatoes done - you may want to blanch your potatoes first - it speeds up the baking time!! 

I love learning new things that make my life easier, how about you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity