Monday, January 4, 2021

Scalloped Potatoes~ Quicker?


I ended up with a whole lot of potatoes. I already had a 10# pound bag and then Aldi's ran a sale for $.99 cents and I just couldn't pass it up so I had quite a few potatoes and there would be no way that we could eat through them all before they went bad so I decided to do a project with the potatoes that I had wanted to do for quite some time. 
I wanted to get potatoes peeled and processed so that I could have batches of scalloped potatoes dehydrated and stored for later use. 
So I peeled and sliced enough potatoes and put them into my 9x13 pan- So I could do it a batch at a time to individually store each batch. 
Then it is very important to blanch your potatoes - but sadly I did not get a photo of that step. 
Once you are done blanching for 4-5 minutes - it is best to put the potatoes into ice water to stop the cooking. 

Then I laid the potato slices down single layer on the trays of my dehydrator. 
When they were done - I let them cool off and sit for a while and then poured them into a bowl to make it easier to put into my bag. 
Then I put it into a storage bag. I don't think this will be my way to store it. I think I am going to see if I can use my food saver to store them. I am just a little concerned that the food saver could end up breaking my potatoes when it tries to such the water out. I will have to try one time and see what I decide it the best thing to do. 
I am so glad that I learned about dehydrating foods because it really helps from wasting food that you just can't use before it goes bad. It is a blessing to be able to save money by wasting less. 

I will be sure and follow up with what I decided to do. Plus I have a post about some things I learned during this process. So be on the look out for another post about dehydrating potatoes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity