Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Dehydrating Potatoes.... An Oopsy and Hopefully a Fix

 I dehydrated a lot of potatoes so that I would not end up wasting a lot of food by them going bad before we could eat them. So I was slicing them and dehydrating them. I learned several things doing this and I wanted to share what I learned so that if you decide to dehydrate potatoes - you will have these great tips. 

So even though I blanched the potatoes, I ended up with about 7-8 slices of potatoes that ended up with a black circle in the middle of the potato slices. So I learned that I have to make sure that I blanch the potatoes long enough. On the next batch I blanched them but as I was laying the potatoes down on a single layer - I watched for white places on the potatoes and if I found them I put them into hot water to sit for a bit till it cooked through that area - I am hoping that this will take care of the potatoes having black spots. Sadly - I still had a few black spots so I will have to try something I read on a dehydrating facebook group. I will be sharing it with you just in case you are interested. 

So the suggestion was - as soon as you slice the potatoes - to put them into cold water that has a Tablespoon of citric acid to soak . They suggested soaking for 1 hour. Then they rinsed the potatoes and then blanched them, drained, put them into cold water again. Drained them and then dehydrated them on 120*. So this will be the way I do it the next time. I am hoping to be able to get a whole batch without the black spots.  

I learned something else but will be sharing about it tomorrow so come back. See you then. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

33: The Way to Captivity