Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Health Tidbits~ Safest Source for Omega-3

So - fish has been touted as a great source for Omega-3 but the fact that fish is now getting higher and higher amounts of mercury in them - it is better idea to find a plant based source for our Omega-3. Flaxseed is an awesome source for it.

Buy flaxseeds and ground just what you will be using at that time in a coffee grinder. I leave mine on my counter and actually grind my flaxseeds - dump the contents out of the holder and put the lid back on - after just wiping it out. I don't think you have to clean it up every single time.

Once you grind flaxseeds they begin to oxidize and lose the nutritional value - so only grind what you need for that time period.

Good ways to use ground flaxseeds:
  • smoothies
  • on your oat groats
  • in your salads
  • in your breads
Oh and yes - you need to grind them - if you don't, then the seeds just pass right through you and you get no benefits from them.

Chia Seeds and Walnuts are a couple of other good sources for Omega-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)