Thursday, June 28, 2018

Digging Deeper into Psalm 23

I love to hear sermons in which it is obvious that the speaker has spent many hours with Jesus. This is shown by humility and special insight into the Word of God. Last Sabbath I was blessed to hear such a sermon.

Psalm 23 is a very popular passage. Sometimes because it is so commonly read/quoted we can think that we totally get it. But I believe there are many hidden gems in this passage, as in the whole Bible, for us to find!

1 A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
3 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; My cup runs over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me All the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the Lord Forever. 
Psalm 23                   
 
         So our pastor was explaining that fly's and bugs like to bother sheep especially around their eyes and mouth, places where the wool is not protecting the sheep. They can cause blindness to the sheep, or even kill them if the shepherd does not cover them in oil.
 
We need to be so seeped in the oil(Holy Spirit) that the trials of live won't bother us. A person relationship with Jesus Christ is what brings the Holy Spirit into out lives and as we dig deeper into the truths that God has for us in His Word, we become more seeped in the oil, which is the Holy Spirit.
 
The Holy Spirit comes with baggage. Normally baggage is a bad thing, but not when it comes to the baggage that the Holy Spirit has. Along with the Holy Spirit comes things like:
  • mercy
  • amazing grace
  • truth
  • and the list goes on
Isn't that beautiful?!
 
See why I like these types of sermons? When I get a more clear glimpse into the heart of Jesus and when he want me to do, I am blessed and drawn closer to Him. When sharing this sermon with my sister she shared more insight into Psalm 23. Come back next week when I will unfold even more insight into this special passage in the Bible.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

“Light Shines in the Darkness” | Sabbath School Panel by 3ABN - Lesson 3...

Installment #3 Be blessed :O)