Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Broth and Breading

The other day I shared how I make my gluten.  Well today I want to share how I do the broth and breading to make these delicious gluten steaks.

Breading Meal 

1 2/3 C. potato meal (or flour) or rolled oats(whizzed) I use the oats
1/3 C. Brewer's Yeast flakes
2 T. Chicken style seasoning
1-2 envelopes George Washington Broth powder
2 tsp. Bakon Yeast
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. fine herbs
1 tsp. onion powder
 Mix all together - Makes about 1 pint.

This recipe is from the cookbook "Cooking by the Book" by Marcella Lynch
It is a recipe that you can really adjust things how you would like to adjust it to taste. For the fine herbs - you can choose what ever you would like. Normally I make this batch up - and then I use 1 C. which is about half of the mixture - and add about 1/2- 3/4 Cup flour - and then use it as a breading. You can use it full strength if you would prefer - I just like to make it last a little longer.

For the broth - I use the following recipe. Again - it can be adjusted to your taste of how you like it - this will just give you a guide for what I usually do. Although most of my recipes I like to use exact amounts this one is more of a - about this much of this or about this much of that.
Broth 
Take a large pan and fill it with 3/4th the way up with water.
Then add 1-2 chopped onions.
I like to use about 4-6 stalks of celery chopped- depending on the size
I like to use about 2 Vegetable Bouillon cubes
About 4 George Washington Broth packets
1/4 Cup of Soy Sauce -or something like it - there are some other things like Braggs that can be used as the Soy sauce
I also like to use about 2 T. of Nutritional Yeast

Now I will bring this mixture to a boil and then turn it to simmer. Then you will add your gluten steaks that have been pressed with the tortilla press.

The gluten steaks absorb the flavor of the broth - they don't have a lot of flavor on their own - that is why the sauce is kind of strong. But it will make them very tasty. I also like to make several batches of gluten each time I make them. It is most cost effective to make several batches at one time. Plus then I can freeze what we don't eat at the meal that day. And I will have some gluten for a few other meals. And I like that.
There are many other ways you can do your broth and breading for the gluten. I just wanted to give you an idea of what I do. I am hoping to be able to make some gluten up in the next week or two. It's been a while since I have made some since it has been so warm here.

2 comments:

  1. My husband would love this meal. It sounds like you are an excellent cook! I'm still learning/teaching myself how to cook. I'll get there yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren- I really think that cooking is another one of those life long journeys. I am still learning things. And I enjoy that!
    Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

28: My Oil of Choice

Another installment of Breadbeckers! :O)