Thursday, April 19, 2012

What Does Love Look Like?

In our world of Hallmark movies - many times we get a poor idea of what love really is. The movies might be entertaining but they are not what love really is. They are not reality. We are given an idea of what love really is by reading our Bible. And what better chapter in the Bible could we look at than 1 Corinthians 13 could we look to for some answers?

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing. 4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love. " 1 Corinthians 13

Do you see what I see? This list is not a list of gushy feelings and such - no - it is a list that shows that love will be hard sometime. This is a much more realistic idea of what love really is. So if you watch movies and have gotten the idea that -love is just a lot of mushy feelings and such - I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you are setting yourself up for real disappointment.
This photo floated around Facebook last week and I though I would share it. It is very true. Satan is out to attack - especially marriages and one of the ways he does this is to give us false ideas of what love really is. When we are so wrapped up in the idea that love is just the feelings of being in love, then we run the risk of running away from the commitment that we have made when tough times come along. In a relationship, there will be ups and downs and we need to hold onto the commitment that we have made - even in the bad time. When those times come along if we will hold onto God and trust Him- He will carry us through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello~ I love getting your comments. I have made a few changes to make things a little easier for you and hoping a more enjoyable experience for both you and I. Have a blessed day! :o)

20: Joseph Vision